NY Dept. of Education to ban Dinosaurs, Poverty, Sex from standardized tests

Started by Syt, March 28, 2012, 01:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on March 29, 2012, 05:04:22 PM
Quote from: KRonn on March 29, 2012, 02:36:47 PM
I'm looking at the reasons they give, if that article is accurate. Not a logical or testing rationale is what they give, mostly what they talk about is emotional, making sure that students won't be offended or harmed by words and topics that really are normal items. Really? We need to be so sensitive?

Why not be sensitive?  It costs nothing, and may make a difference to some students taking the test. 

That is a good question.  Why aren't you sensitive to posters here?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 29, 2012, 05:23:14 PM
Is making the test easier and the testing environment more sterile a good or a bad thing?
It isn't making testing any easier, nor the testing environment any more sterile, so it is a moot point whether such things are good or bad.

QuoteThe real world these students are supposedly being prepared for respects no such sensibilities.
The tests are not measuring ability to live in the real world, so the observation is moot.

But please keep up the strawman arguments.  They are amusing, if absurd.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: PDH on March 29, 2012, 05:23:28 PM
I like the idea of evoking emotional responses.

Have them take a bubble test while crawling through the mud under the barbed wire with live rounds fired overhead, for instance.  That way we know they won't crack when in the hand to hand combat that is university life.

Certainly the universities can install this kind of test (you are thinking here of things like SAT or ACT).  These are tests like the Regents' Exams and have nothing to do with college admission.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!