Sudan invades South Sudan

Started by jimmy olsen, March 26, 2012, 09:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

The South Will Rise Again!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-17515209
Quote26 March 2012 Last updated at 23:16 GMT

Sudan and South Sudan in fierce border clashes

Clashes have broken out between the armed forces of Sudan and South Sudan in several disputed border regions, both sides say.

A spokesman for the South Sudan army says it is the biggest confrontation since independence.

South Sudan seceded from Sudan last July after a long civil war. The nations have several outstanding issues, of which the biggest is oil.

Sudan state radio says President Bashir has now put off a visit to South Sudan.

He had been due to hold a summit next week with the President of South Sudan, Salva Kiir.

The clashes prompted President Kiir to warn of war.

He said: "This morning the [Sudanese] air force came and bombed... areas in Unity state.

"After this intensive bombardment our forces.... were attacked by the [Sudan Armed Forces] and militia."

Mr Kiir added: "It is a war that has been imposed on us again, but it is [Sudan] who are looking for it."

He said Southern forces had taken over the key oil field of Heglig, parts of which are claimed by both sides.
Oil dispute

The South also reported Khartoum had attacked the disputed areas of Jau and Pan Akuach, and Teshwin inside South Sudan.

Sudan's army spokesman, Sawarmi Khalid Saad, confirmed fighting in the border area of Sudan's South Kordofan state and the southern Unity state, without giving the exact locations.

"The clashes there are still ongoing," he said.

In January, South Sudan shut down all of its oil fields in a row over the fees Sudan demands to transit the oil.

South Sudan depends on oil sales for 98% of state revenues, but pledged not to restart production until a deal was reached.

Parts of the countries' common border also remain in dispute.

In February, the two states agreed to demarcate most of the border within three months, although this would exclude five disputed areas.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Collective security.  Somebody nuke Sudan.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

11B4V

Well, Toyota trucks should get a bump in sales.  :lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

Quote from: 11B4V on March 26, 2012, 10:12:11 PM
Well, Toyota trucks should get a bump in sales.  :lol:
Lets not get to technical about this, does the brand really matter?  ;)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

11B4V

You up with the rest of us graveyarders and Euros?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Yeah, gotta head out early and babysit my poor sick 5 year old niece for a few hours while Mommy and Daddy go to work.

11B4V

CountDeMoney