Dutch Roman Catholic Church 'castrated at least 10 boys' in the 1950s

Started by jimmy olsen, March 21, 2012, 01:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

That's some sick shit right there

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/netherlands/9153676/Dutch-Roman-Catholic-Church-castrated-at-least-10-boys.html

QuoteDutch Roman Catholic Church 'castrated at least 10 boys'

At least 10 teenage boys or young men under the age of 21 were surgically castrated "to get rid of homosexuality" while in the care of the Dutch Roman Catholic Church in the 1950s.

By Bruno Waterfield

5:31PM GMT 19 Mar 2012

Evidence of the castrations has emerged amid controversy that it was not included in the findings of an official investigation into sexual abuse within the church last year.

The NRC Handelsblad newspaper identified Henk Heithuis who was castrated in 1956, while a minor, after reporting priests to the police for abusing him in a Catholic boarding home.

Joep Dohmen, the investigative journalist who uncovered the Heithuis case, also found evidence of at least nine other castrations. "These cases are anonymous and can no longer be traced," he said. "There will be many more. But the question is whether those boys, now old men, will want to tell their story."

Mr Heithuis died in a car crash in 1958, two years after being castrated at the age of 20, while under the age of majority, which was then 21.

In 1956 he had accused Catholic clergy of sexually abusing him in his Church run care home.

Two clergymen were convicted of abuse but Mr Heithuis, a victim, was nonetheless transferred by police to a Catholic psychiatric hospital before being admitted to the St. Joseph Hospital in Veghel later that year.

There, court papers confirm, he was castrated "at his own request", despite no submission of his written consent. Sources told Mr Dohmen that the surgical removal of testicles was regarded as a treatment for homosexuality and also as a punishment for those who accused clergy of sexual abuse.

Cornelius Rogge, 79, a well-known Dutch sculptor whose family knew Mr Heithuis in the 1950s, reported the castration to an official inquiry into abuse within the Catholic Church. But his evidence was ignored.

"We once asked Henk to drop his pants when the women were gone. He did that. He was maimed totally. It was a huge shock," he said.

Last December, an official investigation by Wim Deetman, a former Dutch minister, received 1,800 reports of sexual abuse by clergy or volunteers within Dutch Catholic dioceses in the period since 1945.

The Deetman inquiry received a report of the Heithuis case from Mr Rogge but it was not followed up because "there were few leads for further research".

Evidence emerged on Monday that government inspectors were aware that minors were being castrated while in Catholic-run psychiatric institutions.

Minutes of meetings held in the 1950s show that inspectors were present when castrations were discussed. The documents also reveal that the Catholic staff did not think parents needed to be involved.

There are also allegations that Vic Marijnen, a former Dutch Prime Minister, who died in 1975, was linked to the case.

In 1956, Mr Marijnen was the chairman of the Gelderland children's home where Mr Heithuis and other children were abused. He intervened to have prison sentences dropped against several priests convicted of abusing children.

Dutch MPs will today call for a parliamentary investigation into the allegations.

"I am shocked that boys were being castrated in the 1950s," said Khadija Arib, a Labour MP. "I want an independent investigation. We must find out how many cases there were, who knew about it and why the government did not act."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

So to rid them of homosexuality, they made these men unable to have sex with women*, but still able to have sex with men.  :hmm:

*other than carpet munching
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Yeah, catholics in Western Europe are such a nice, intellectual, liberal bunch. Right, Sheilbh?

Razgovory

To think, were it not for the Soviets, this could have happened to Marty.  I bet he'd be much less of a little bitch without his balls.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on March 21, 2012, 02:43:39 AM
Yeah, catholics in Western Europe are such a nice, intellectual, liberal bunch. Right, Sheilbh?

How the hell else are they supposed to get falsettos for the choir?  Fuck already, always bitching.

Josquius

Hey, it works, it cures them of homosexuality- they never did say they then wanted to make them straight :contract:

Cures for gayness have never been the most logically thought out things,
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on March 21, 2012, 04:25:29 AM
Hey, it works, it cures them of homosexuality- they never did say they then wanted to make them straight :contract:

As logical as cures for any other paraphilia.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

HVC

It was the 50's. Everyone was maiming reproductive organs and lobotomizing brains.   
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: HVC on March 21, 2012, 07:33:39 AM
It was the 50's. Everyone was maiming reproductive organs and lobotomizing brains.   
Yeah. remember all those Frankie and Annette surfing movies?
PDH!

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

The one identified case died in the 50s? Some other anonymous folks were said to be castrated? One would think this would be pretty easy to substantiate, if any of 'em are still alive.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Malthus on March 21, 2012, 08:57:38 AM
The one identified case died in the 50s? Some other anonymous folks were said to be castrated? One would think this would be pretty easy to substantiate, if any of 'em are still alive.

Would be easy to substantiate the physical fact; less easy to substantiate that "the Church" did it.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 21, 2012, 09:37:44 AM
Quote from: Malthus on March 21, 2012, 08:57:38 AM

Would be easy to substantiate the physical fact; less easy to substantiate that "the Church" did it.

Sure, but at least you'd have the direct evidence of the guy it was done to. Right now, all there is it would appear are third-hand accounts and rumours.

Of course there is a big leap between "Dr. X did this" and "The Church", even assuming it happened.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on March 21, 2012, 04:25:29 AM

As Teach pointed out that's not really the case.  A man can still have gay sex without a penis.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.