Affirmative action in college admissions likely to be struck down by Supremes

Started by jimmy olsen, February 21, 2012, 08:38:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hansmeister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 22, 2012, 09:17:50 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 22, 2012, 08:27:57 AM
It doesn't really count when it is one of those white kids bemoaning a specific policy without thinking it all through.  What's next? Where's White Pride at y'all?

It's always the same with Whitey;  decades of drinking the GOP Kool-Aid, they're convinced that 89% of the federal budget goes to 12,000 single black women, Harvard is required to admit 350 black people for 412 freshman spots, and food stamps are delivered personally, all of them individually addressed, gilded and embossed, to Ms. Shanique Jones-Bey of Newark, NJ.

Well, as a typical Republican I abhor racism.  Of course, as a typical Democrat you are in favor of racism.  Little has changed on that over the last 150 years.

CountDeMoney

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Hansmeister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 22, 2012, 10:01:59 AM
Quote from: Hansmeister on February 22, 2012, 10:00:57 AM
Well, as a typical Republican I abhor racism.

Unless, of course, the President is black.

Only Democrats focus in on race, I couldn't care less.  I abhor his corruption, incompetence, ideology, and arrogance.

Like most Democrats you have to invent motives based on race since you're incapable of thinking outside those terms.  You are the very definition of racism.

I have to think of a great Republican, who was murdered by a Democrat, who talked about his dream of people being judged by the content of their character, not by the color of their skin.

Unfortunately, you are still incapable of doing so.

garbon

Well, as a typical Republican I abhor racism.  Of course, as a typical Democrat you are in favor of racism.  Little has changed on that over the last 150 years.

Sounds like you are trying to pretend racism doesn't exist.  You can stick your head in the sand but that doesn't make problems magically disappear.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Hansmeister

Quote from: garbon on February 22, 2012, 10:11:56 AM

Sounds like you are trying to pretend racism doesn't exist.  You can stick your head in the sand but that doesn't make problems magically disappear.

Of course it exists, just ask Clarence Thomas or Condi Rice, constantly attacked in the most vulgar of racist terms.  Alas, it is mostly amongst those on the left, who insist we have to be racist in order to combat racism.  And all the efforts they devise to combat racism are actually institutionalizing and reinforcing racism.  Just like the institutions Democrats supported in the past.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Hansmeister on February 22, 2012, 10:11:33 AM
I have to think of a great Republican, who was murdered by a Democrat, who talked about his dream of people being judged by the content of their character, not by the color of their skin.

You're absolutely right; and the worse part is, Charles Guiteau wanted to be a federal employee.  Damn public unions!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Hansmeister on February 22, 2012, 10:14:48 AM
Of course it exists, just ask Clarence Thomas or Condi Rice, constantly attacked in the most vulgar of racist terms. 

Nobody gives Condi Rice shit for being black.

They give her shit for being a dyke.

11B4V

Only Democrats focus in on race, I couldn't care less.  I abhor his corruption, incompetence, ideology, and arrogance.

Like most Democrats you have to invent motives based on race since you're incapable of thinking outside those terms.  You are the very definition of racism.

The GOP is falling apart and defunct. Needs a total facelift and realignment. They will not have the White House in the next term. I bet you they will not have it anytime soon. Dems have Hillary in the wings.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Quote from: Hansmeister on February 22, 2012, 10:14:48 AM
Of course it exists, just ask Clarence Thomas or Condi Rice, constantly attacked in the most vulgar of racist terms.  Alas, it is mostly amongst those on the left, who insist we have to be racist in order to combat racism.  And all the efforts they devise to combat racism are actually institutionalizing and reinforcing racism.  Just like the institutions Democrats supported in the past.

Yeah that doesn't actually make sense unless you are headed in the direction of Paul that the Civil Rights Act of 64 helped to increase racial tensions.

grumbler

Quote from: Faeelin on February 22, 2012, 09:11:38 AM
I agree with you, but what bothers me is that I don't think anyone believes that if we got rid of AA we'd see more of a push to help out minority students. It's either a crappy bandage or nothing.

AA is a token gesture.  It allows people to be admitted and then fail so institutions can avoid making real reforms that allow people to succeed even when coming from disadvantaged backgrounds.

QuoteI also find the histrionics over affirmative action by some white people to be a bit much. My Dad still rants that some black guy stole his spot in law school, because, you know, affirmative action exists. Yes, it's a misguided policy whose benefits are overrated. But it's not this huge injustice.

I also find the histrionics over AA, like this, to be a bit much.  It is unjust, but that really only matters to one if justice matters to one.  Ending it will also result in injustices, and so the question one has to solve is which injustice one can best live with.  I guess I oppose AA because I can live with hypothetical group injustice more than actual individual injustice.  I don't feel very strongly about it, though.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Fate

There are 5 blacks and 6 Hispanics in my medical school class of 155. I think Texas (or maybe just West Texas) still needs affirmative action.

Grey Fox

But you like republicans corruption, incompetence & arrogance? ( I assume, you actually like crazy religious freaks ideology)
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

fhdz

Quote from: Ideologue on February 22, 2012, 12:06:32 AM
I look very Spanish. Goth-Alanian, really.  :shifty:

Yeah? I look like a German Jew. I'm the guy the affirmative action rep glares at.

Until I smile, of course, at which point his CARES MELT AWAY
and the horse you rode in on

Martinus

Funnily enough, here's an interesting snippet from a post-communist perspective: a class/social background AA at colleges here during the 1945-1989 era is universally considered to be one of the most opressive, unjust and totalitarian aspects of the commie social policy. That and sending independent farmers to gulags.