News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Cuban Accounting

Started by Josephus, February 13, 2012, 03:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

How do you see Cuba thriving? I am seriously curious. All I can see is it returning to a hotbed of American tourism (though Mexico will try to prevent that). It has no natural resources. No industrial base. It has people, yes. And enterprising ones, at that, who can keep a 1952 Chevrolet running. But I can't see what else it can offer. Cubans tend to be over-educated, which means that there will undoubtedly be a brain drain once the borders open up.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on February 17, 2012, 04:52:10 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 17, 2012, 04:41:39 PM
I don't agree.  I think post-communist Cuba has a lot of potential, if it can be managed properly.  One thing communism is generally good at, with some notable exceptions, is developing human capital.  Ironically, you can't take advantage of it until you lose the communism bullshit, but it does build a lot of the necessary framework.

I think post-communist Cuba has the most potential if it isn't managed much at all.  It would be the anti-Haiti, in fact.

The Somalia option.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Valmy on February 17, 2012, 01:57:14 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on February 17, 2012, 01:53:03 PM
Yeah, Castro is awful but our embargo has been more harmful to the Cuban people and has done more to keep them in poverty than Castro has. Hate to say it, but it's true.

I don't hate to say it.  The embargo is just hilariously counter-productive and idiotic policy, kept in place by intertia decades after its original purpose has past.  I would be really upset by it but there are so many similar things being done by the Feds.
The hypocrites who do business with Red China would call you a commie liberal terrorist for doing business with Red Cuba.
PDH!

The Minsky Moment

I think post-communist Cuba has the most potential if it isn't managed much at all.  It would be the anti-Haiti, in fact.

I don't think the problem in Haiti is over-management. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Camerus

What policy (and this is not a rhetorical question) would be more effective as both a retaliatory measure and as a future deterrent for the appropriation of US assets? And how would that policy punish only the regime (and still be an effective deterrent) while not punishing the people?

Martinus

Isn't the fact that there is a bunch of idiot Spics in Florida who can vote pretty much the only reason for the embargo these days?

Razgovory

You are such a charming person Marty.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

fhdz

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 17, 2012, 03:53:57 PM
I don't understand the ... ellipses.  The Cuban state expropriated US property in the name of the Cuban people.  Would it make more sense to punish Argentinians?

Did the Cuban people ask the Cuban state to do that? Or did Castro and crew just decide that's what the Cuban people wanted?
and the horse you rode in on

fhdz

Quote from: Martinus on February 18, 2012, 06:08:11 AM
Isn't the fact that there is a bunch of idiot Spics in Florida who can vote pretty much the only reason for the embargo these days?

They aren't idiots; they ARE single-issue voters, largely because you would be too if a dictator had ruined the fuck out of your country.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 17, 2012, 03:53:57 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on February 17, 2012, 03:49:24 PM
So to drive that one home, we are punishing...the Cuban people?

I don't understand the ... ellipses.  The Cuban state expropriated US property in the name of the Cuban people.  Would it make more sense to punish Argentinians?

QuoteHow's that been working for us?

Perfectly.  We still have the chip.

Yeah, a chip so valuable that  they haven't done actually done what we want them to do in the last sixty years.  If you are selling something and nobody has tried to buy in half a century "I still have it", is small consolation for the time it spent taking up shelf space.

mongers

Quote from: fahdiz on February 18, 2012, 01:50:33 PM
Quote from: Martinus on February 18, 2012, 06:08:11 AM

They aren't idiots; they ARE single-issue voters, largely because you would be too if a dictator had ruined the fuck out of your country.
Indeed this exactly explains why communism still has so much residual support in Cuba.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: fahdiz on February 18, 2012, 01:49:34 PM
Did the Cuban people ask the Cuban state to do that? Or did Castro and crew just decide that's what the Cuban people wanted?

Before doing anything Castro always visits each and every Cuban family in their homes and asks them if a given policy is a good idea.  He got the idea from Hirohito, who invited every Japanese citizen for tea at the palace to discuss their opinion on bombing Pearl Harbor.

fhdz

Admiral Yi

Quote from: fahdiz on February 18, 2012, 02:22:03 PM
Sigh.

Sigh what?  What sigh?

You asked a rhetorical question, trying to make the point that the Cuban people have had no say in the policies for which they are being punished.  I rebutted that point by showing we have *always* held people accountable for policies in which they had no say.

derspiess

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 18, 2012, 03:08:19 AM

I don't think the problem in Haiti is over-management. 

Nor is it under-management.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall