Man adopts adult girlfriend to protect his assets from lawsuit

Started by sbr, February 01, 2012, 07:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/palm-beach/wellington/pb-john-goodman-adopts-girlfriend-20120131,0,3385741.story

Polo club founder Goodman adopts his adult girlfriend

Polo club founder John Goodman has adopted his longtime adult girlfriend as his legal daughter in what plaintiff's attorneys are calling an attempt to shield assets from a civil suit filed by the parents of a Wellington man killed in a car crash.

"The events which serve as the grounds for the relief sought by the Plaintiffs border on the surreal and take the Court into a legal twilight zone," wrote Circuit Judge Glenn Kelley in an order granting attorneys for Lili and William Wilson the right to information concerning Goodman's adoption.

Goodman [who is 48], who founded the International Polo Club Palm Beach in Wellington, legally adopted 42-year-old Heather Laruso Hutchins, as his daughter on Oct. 13 inMiami-Dade County, according to court documents.

The Wilsons are suing Goodman for wrongful death in connection with the Feb. 12, 2010 crash that killed 23-year-old Scott Patrick Wilson. According to Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office reports, Goodman ran a stop sign on 120th Avenue on Feb. 12, 2010 and hit Wilson, who was driving west on Lake Worth Road. The civil trial is set for March 27.

Kelley had previously ruled that the trust set up for Goodman's two minor children could not be considered as part of Goodman's financial worth if a jury awarded damages to the Wilsons. According to the adoption papers, Hutchins is immediately entitled to at least a third of the trust's assets as his legal daughter since she is over the age of 35.

In a deposition taken in the lawsuit last May, Hutchins told attorneys she started dating Goodman in 2009.

William Wilson's attorney, Scott Smith, said Goodman benefits from the trust and is using it to try to shield assets. The attorney for Lili Wilson, Chris Searcy, argued in a motion that by adopting Hutchins, Goodman can now direct her to remove up to a third of the trust.

"By way of this adoption, John Goodman now effectively owns one third of the trust assets," Smith said. "It cannot go unrecognized that he chose to adopt his 42-year-old adult girlfriend as opposed to a needy child."

Dan Bachi, Goodman's civil attorney, said Hutchins' adoption was done to ensure the future stability of his children and family investments.

"It has nothing to do with the lawsuit currently pending against him," Bachi said.

Kelley called Goodman's tactic of adopting his girlfriend "unprecedented."

"The Court cannot ignore reality or the practical impact of what Mr. Goodman has now done," Kelley wrote. "The Defendant has effectively diverted a significant portion of the assets of the children's trust to a person with whom he is intimately involved at a time when his personal assets are largely at risk in this case."

Tests taken several hours after the crash revealed Goodman had a blood alcohol level of more than twice the legal limit to drive in Florida. He faces a criminal trial on March 6 on charges of DUI manslaughter, vehicular homicide and leaving the scene of a crash and could face up to 30 years in prison.

Huh.   :hmm:

MadBurgerMaker

DGuller

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on February 01, 2012, 07:42:54 PM
Boning your adopted daughter?  That's fucking gross. :x

Good point.  Is he legally allowed to bone an adopted daughter?

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

Is this really so unprecedented?
I thought this  was semi-normal (i.e. not totally unheard of) amongst gay folk as a way to kind of get married when they can't actually be married.
██████
██████
██████

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: Tyr on February 01, 2012, 08:30:16 PM
Is this really so unprecedented?
I thought this  was semi-normal (i.e. not totally unheard of) amongst gay folk as a way to kind of get married when they can't actually be married.

Really?

At least here the court examines the actual relationship between the adopter and the adoptee in adoption cases where both parties are adults - the judge has to be satisfied that there already exists a parent-child-like relationship to allow adoption.

Furthermore, adoption creates a parental relationship between the parties for the purpose of incest laws - so adopting your girlfriend would be rather problematic from that perspective, as you would no longer be able to fuck her, legally. ;)

The Brain

Now I see clearly how a child could never ever give meaningful consent. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Viking on February 02, 2012, 05:35:46 PM
seriously? no pics yet?

fucking amateur retards I say...

The article did mention that she was 42...
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 01, 2012, 08:00:24 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 01, 2012, 07:42:54 PM
Boning your adopted daughter?  That's fucking gross. :x

Good point.  Is he legally allowed to bone an adopted daughter?
Isn't that what Woody Allen did? :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!