And we're back!

Main Menu

Korea- Too boring

Started by Josquius, January 31, 2012, 07:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on August 05, 2013, 08:58:21 AM
:unsure:
I always found hotels in Japan to be pretty cheap. What site are you using?
PM time
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Staying at hotel 15 minutes trim the airport, heading out to Kyoto tomorrow morning!  :)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Lettow77

Using hotels?

Oh dear, how horrifying!

In any event, I was just in Kobe- If I had remembered you were coming to Kyoto i'd have lingered, but now i've gone and left kansai behind again. I think I need to go to Kagoshima.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Lettow77 on August 09, 2013, 09:02:55 AM
Using hotels?

Oh dear, how horrifying!

Who needs a hotel when there's always an overpass?  :wacko:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Lettow77 on August 09, 2013, 09:02:55 AM
Using hotels?

Oh dear, how horrifying!

I think you meant to state how horrifying it would be to not stay at a hotel. But then that doesn't really need stating.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Lettow77

You are all enslaved by your decadent lifestyles

All luxury imaginable is provided in gensokyo in any event;
everyone is a little girl, and every little girl can be a fairy princess

Eddie Teach

I don't want to be a fairy princess, I just want solitude and a mattress to lie down on.

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 09, 2013, 09:52:57 AM
I don't want to be a fairy princess, I just want solitude and a mattress to lie down on.

And I'm already a fairy queen so I'll pass on that.

@Lettow - No, hotels in and of themselves are not decadent. In fact many are pretty dreadful.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Lettow77

The mattress is a bourgeois affectation, but you can have a soft-enough mat to lay on and a fair approximation of privacy in the form of cubicle stalls for well shy of $20 an evening, along with all-you-can drink refreshment and other amenities. Notably, these places are often extremely well located- better so than hotels on average, I think.

This time of year, though, one can find plenty of Japanese sleeping outside, typically by train stations. It is somewhat accepted among young Japanese who are travelling- it is a safe and considerate country, and the police/station staff take a tolerant view.

Edit: Besides that, Kyoto in particular is famed for its particularly affordable traditional pilgrim housing. Inexpensive, an interesting experience, etc etc. Missed opportunity.

garbon

Quote from: Lettow77 on August 09, 2013, 09:58:57 AM
The mattress is a bourgeois affectation

aka not being a hobo.

mongers

Quote from: Lettow77 on August 09, 2013, 09:58:57 AM
The mattress is a bourgeois affectation, but you can have a soft-enough mat to lay on and a fair approximation of privacy in the form of cubicle stalls for well shy of $20 an evening, along with all-you-can drink refreshment and other amenities. Notably, these places are often extremely well located- better so than hotels on average, I think.

This time of year, though, one can find plenty of Japanese sleeping outside, typically by train stations. It is somewhat accepted among young Japanese who are travelling- it is a safe and considerate country, and the police/station staff take a tolerant view.

Edit: Besides that, Kyoto in particular is famed for its particularly affordable traditional pilgrim housing. Inexpensive, an interesting experience, etc etc. Missed opportunity.

Interesting, thanks Lettow.   :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Lettow77 on August 09, 2013, 09:51:29 AM
You are all enslaved by your decadent lifestyles

All luxury imaginable is provided in gensokyo in any event;
everyone is a little girl, and every little girl can be a fairy princess

At least now I finally know what Robert E Lee was fighting for.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

Quote from: wikipediaNeolithic period: The mattress and bed are invented. Beds are raised off the ground to avoid drafts, dirt, and pests. The first mattress probably consisted of a pile of leaves, grass, or possibly straw, with animal skins over it.
3600 B.C.: Beds made of goatskins filled with water are used in Persia.
3400 B.C.: Egyptians sleep on palm boughs heaped in the corners of their homes.
200 B.C.: Mattresses in Ancient Rome consist of bags of cloth stuffed with reeds, hay, or wool; the wealthy use feather stuffing.
15th century: During the Renaissance, mattresses are made of pea shucks, straw, or sometimes feathers, stuffed into coarse ticks, and covered with velvets and brocades.
16th and 17th centuries: Mattresses are stuffed with straw or down and placed atop a bed consisting of a timber frame with support latticeworks of rope or leather.
Early 18th century: Mattresses are stuffed with cotton or wool.
Mid 18th century: Mattress covers begin to be made of quality linen or cotton. The mattress cane box is shaped or bordered, and fillings include natural fibers such as coconut fibre, cotton, wool, and horsehair. The mattress is tufted or buttoned to attach the stuffing to the cover and the edges are stitched.
Late 19th century: The box-spring is invented to distribute weight and act as a shock absorber, thereby lengthening the life of an innerspring mattress.
1926: Dunlop introduced a technology to produce vulcanized rubber latex foam. Similar foams still are used in latex mattresses and pillows (hence the name Dunlopillo). Initially it was only sold to British royalty.
1930s: Innerspring mattresses and upholstered foundations become widely used, and artificial fillers become common. Encased coil spring mattresses, which consist of individual springs sewn into linked fabric bags, are introduced.
1940s: Air mattresses constructed of vulcanized rubber-coated fabric are introduced.
1960s: The modern waterbed is introduced and gains its first widespread use. Adjustable beds gain popularity. The California king size bed is introduced.[5]
1970s: NASA invents material that later becomes known as memory foam.[6]
1970s: A more advanced technology to produce synthetic foam rubber mattresses and pillows enabled factories to mass-market latex foam and reduce the consumption of natural rubber latex.
1992: Tempur-Pedic introduces a mattress made from memory foam.
1992: Fibrelux introduces a mattress made from rubberized coir.
2000: Simmons Bedding Co. invents the "no-flip" mattress, a one-sided construction style that has since been adopted by most North American mattress manufacturers.[7]

Lettow77

Robert E. Lee, as has been previously discussed, would doubtlessly correspond with the most perfect and composed sort of little girl. As previously discussed:

Lee is a very reserved girl, with white hair in short-to-medium bangs. She participates in tea ceremony, and is extremely elegant, admired by all. Although she is the most ladylike character, she is not arrogant, but criminally aloof. She always seems happy, albeit in a restrained manner, but is frustrated by her inability to be understood by those around her; she will place great forethought into subtle actions and the creation of a specific atmosphere to convey her feelings indirectly, but inevitably be misunderstood except by the girl who loves her the most.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive