News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weird use of 'diversity' as a euphemism

Started by Valmy, January 27, 2012, 04:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Now this is new: 'Diversity' new euphemism for less Asians? http://www.dailytexanonline.com/news/2012/01/27/diversity-remains-issue-despite-efforts

These are the demographics for the class of Freshmen from Texas High Schools that hit campus at the University of Texas at Austin last fall: 46% White 6% Black 23% Latino 19% Asian 6% Other (Other usually means Pacific Islander/Native American/Mixed Race person of some flavor)

These are the demographics of Texas according to the last census: 45.3% White 11.8% Black 37.6% Latino 3.8% Asian 1.5% Other

I mean the obvious over-representation here is the enormous numbers of Asians of various flavors.  But still just because Asians are way over-represented in top educational institutions that is hardly a diversity issue, I mean the Asians themselves are a ridiculously diverse group being the loosest definition of an ethnic group in world history.

Yet this article says this:
QuoteThe senator said tuition increases keep minority students from attending public universities.

Asians: not minorities?  They make up 4% of the population.

Quote"I think the University should make the efforts to reach out to students of color so they know there's a way to get to a higher education program," Durman said.

Asians are aparently not people of color.  Who knew?  Also it seems having nearly 30% of the students being Black and Latino seems sufficient for them to know there is a way to get into UT Austin.

It is just sort of amusing that this article seems to be calling for less Asians and more Latinos and Blacks but for some reason cannot come out and say it.  'This University suffers from yellow peril!'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Asians don't enjoy protected minority status.  Is that news to you?

Why do you think I vote Republican?

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 27, 2012, 04:33:58 PM

I have just never seen it stated so brazenly before.  That a group that consists of everybody from Turks to the Japanese and everybody in between is not diverse.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

The thing I don't get is how Latinos made the cut but Asians didn't.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 27, 2012, 04:52:10 PM
The thing I don't get is how Latinos made the cut but Asians didn't.

It could just be because they are still such a small group here that nobody feels the need to pander to them...but I guess it is the same in California where they are not so small.

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 27, 2012, 04:33:58 PM

Technically, that's not what the laws on racial discrimination say.

In practice, it probably often works out that way.

Quote from: ValmyThat a group that consists of everybody from Turks to the Japanese and everybody in between is not diverse.

Wouldn't most Turks and Arabs in the US identify themselves as white? 

Valmy

Quote from: dps on January 27, 2012, 05:07:44 PM

Why would they?  No idea.  In that case the article failed again by showing an obviously Middle Eastern woman as an example of an 'Asian'.

PDH

Well they are obviously not a minority, there are billions of those little guys running around.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Brain

North African Arabs get all the perks of being officially Black, right?

PDH

Quote from: The Brain on January 27, 2012, 05:18:25 PM
North African Arabs get all the perks of being officially Black, right?

In Texas they are all classes as "terrorists"
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on January 27, 2012, 05:21:20 PM
In Texas they are all classes as "terrorists"

Truth!  That and 'Camel Jockeys'.

The Brain

Anyway, this was the first thing that came into my head when I saw this thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qid_WGBrQjA

dps

Quote from: Valmy on January 27, 2012, 05:12:16 PM
Quote from: dps on January 27, 2012, 05:07:44 PM

Why would they?  No idea.  In that case the article failed again by showing an obviously Middle Eastern woman as an example of an 'Asian'.

Most Arab-Americans I know are pretty light skinned.  I'm not sure that I actually know any Turkish Americans, but I'd assume that they're the same, as a rule.

Lettow77

My experience in Tennessee has been that Syrians, Turks, and such can claim to be white and be treated as such with great rate of success, while north africa/arabian peninsula arabs are a strange "other" element that isn't accepted into social circles.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'