News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Canadian Space Program

Started by Malthus, January 26, 2012, 09:12:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

See? Private Space Exploration is possible without spending millions.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Pretty simple in concept, yet quite amazing that it all went to plan. great job.  :)
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Monoriu

When I read the thread title, the first thought that came to my mind was "what a waste of money."

I still hold this opinion after reading the article  :ph34r:

Josephus

Given that these kids will likely get scholarships to the university of their choice, probably not a bad investment.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Yeah, they spent $400 and got major publicity. Sounds like money well spent from their POV.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Monoriu

Quote from: Josephus on January 26, 2012, 10:25:35 AM
Given that these kids will likely get scholarships to the university of their choice, probably not a bad investment.

I would never imagine that students get scholarships for this kind of thing. 

Malthus

Quote from: Monoriu on January 26, 2012, 10:31:55 AM
Quote from: Josephus on January 26, 2012, 10:25:35 AM

I would never imagine that students get scholarships for this kind of thing.

They probably wouldn't, but it would certainly help their chances of admission. Something to put on the resume. "I want to go into aerospace - and my extracurricular activities include my own unmanned space launch ... "

Ed Anger

Too bad the balloon wasn't shot down and the teens arrested by Delta Force and thrown in gitmo.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Quote from: Monoriu on January 26, 2012, 10:22:41 AM
When I read the thread title, the first thought that came to my mind was "what a waste of money."

I still hold this opinion after reading the article  :ph34r:

You're one to talk about wasting money.  :lol:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 26, 2012, 10:34:37 AM
Too bad the balloon wasn't shot down and the teens arrested by Delta Force and thrown in gitmo.

Allegedly, they were worried about that.  :lol:

Monoriu

Quote from: Malthus on January 26, 2012, 10:33:57 AM

They probably wouldn't, but it would certainly help their chances of admission. Something to put on the resume. "I want to go into aerospace - and my extracurricular activities include my own unmanned space launch ... "

The idea that students prepare resumes for university admission is alien to me as well.  I certainly didn't prepare one. 

Ed Anger

Quote from: Malthus on January 26, 2012, 10:35:35 AM

I should read these articles.  :D
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 26, 2012, 10:38:08 AM

I should read these articles.  :D

Guy named Muhammed has gotta worry ...  ;)

QuoteThe pair discovered a website that calculates a weather balloon's estimated landing spot based on input launch coordinates, prevailing winds, and balloon specs — different weather balloons are designed to burst at different altitudes.

The site kept spitting out Rochester, N.Y., as their balloon's final landing spot. Muhammad and Ho didn't like their chances with U.S. Homeland Security.

But one Saturday morning, Ho tried again, and saw the balloon would land near Peterborough.

Josephus

yes, they were. They did computer simulations to see where it would lend, and were concerned at one time that it would land near New York State somewhere.