News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Parties: Shoes or no shoes?

Started by Martinus, January 22, 2012, 06:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

We normally don't remove our shoes when going over to a friend/relative's house and never ask nor expect people to do so when visiting us.  I will note, however, that our friend from Switzerland insisted on removing her shoes the last time she came over.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Tonitrus

Perhaps, interestingly, I'd wager that 100% of the people (me included) who demand that visitors don't wear shoes on inside their homes don't think twice walking around carpeted hotel rooms with their dirty shoes on. 

Fuck hotel corporations?  :P

Razgovory

I wear very dirty socks, thus thwarting efforts to protect a carpet.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 23, 2012, 11:21:01 PM
Perhaps, interestingly, I'd wager that 100% of the people (me included) who demand that visitors don't wear shoes on inside their homes don't think twice walking around carpeted hotel rooms with their dirty shoes on. 

Fuck hotel corporations?  :P

If you charged people to come into your house, I think they could justifiably feel entitled to wear whatever they wanted to.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on January 24, 2012, 12:15:44 AM
If you charged people to come into your house, I think they could justifiably feel entitled to wear whatever they wanted to.

No shirt, no shoes, no service.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 24, 2012, 01:15:50 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 24, 2012, 12:15:44 AM

No shirt, no shoes, no service.

You go to some pretty strict hotels.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

Actually thinking of my grandmother's condo. But they have rules about just about everything.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on January 23, 2012, 02:23:05 PM
No matter how much you wipe your feet, you can never get rid of all the grime and dust or snow.

By the same token why don't you serve your food on paper plates and in plastic cups. After all, during a larger party someone is bound to break something and you have to clean up afterwards anyway.  :rolleyes:

Pedrito

Removing shoes is for peons.

Gentlemen will reach party places by limousine, thus their shoes remain perfectly clean.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 23, 2012, 08:03:32 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 23, 2012, 05:35:02 PM
Reno.

Yes, I get plenty of snow here.

Really? I didn't know that.

You are weird then.

This is Languish. Were all weird.  :)
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

Quote from: Martinus on January 24, 2012, 07:21:40 AM
Quote from: Barrister on January 23, 2012, 02:23:05 PM
No matter how much you wipe your feet, you can never get rid of all the grime and dust or snow.

By the same token why don't you serve your food on paper plates and in plastic cups. After all, during a larger party someone is bound to break something and you have to clean up afterwards anyway.  :rolleyes:

Carbon footprint.
Kinemalogue

Ed Anger

I've served food on paper plates(good strong ones, not the thin plop your food in your lap ones) before. I ain't breaking the fancy shit out for the plebs.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on January 23, 2012, 09:42:42 AM
I wouldn't have to tell the VP (or government equivalent) to take his shoes off - he'd just automatically do it.

This is obviously a northern / southern divide.  Look if I lived in Italy or Spain, where it never snowed, and you consequently have tile floors, then I'd have no problem with shoes in my house.  But living in Canada, with the amount of snow and mud outside right now (and with our carpet floors) there's no way you're wearing your shoes in my house.
I have heard of it being a northern/southern divide before. I do recall in Sweden people seemed to be really strict about it. In the UK though...we tend towards taking shoes off but it isn't as huge a deal with many families not caring at all.

I also recall hearing there's something of a rural/urban divide at play too with folk from more rural places/cultures tending towards taking shoes off.
██████
██████
██████