George Lucas to give up film-making because of Star Wars critics

Started by Kleves, January 18, 2012, 09:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 19, 2012, 01:33:00 PM
I'm thinking mainly of the KOTOR-type stuff.

If only there had been a KOTOR III.  Or heck if only Obsidian had been able to finish KOTOR II.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on January 19, 2012, 01:05:11 PM
Quote from: Maximus on January 19, 2012, 12:42:34 PM
I find it unlikely that it wasn't a cliche story in the early 70s, but it's possible.

Actually, there were sociological papers looking at how Lucas used and combined classic elements in a new way...

Yeah I was about to say alot of ink has been spilled over all the classic images and archtypes and so forth in academia over the first couple Star Wars movies.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

PDH

Quote from: Valmy on January 19, 2012, 01:53:09 PM
Yeah I was about to say alot of ink has been spilled over all the classic images and archtypes and so forth in academia over the first couple Star Wars movies.

Which underlines their impact - the new has become the cliche.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Brain

Quote from: PDH on January 19, 2012, 01:56:31 PM

Which underlines their impact - the new has become the cliche.

Elaborate.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Maximus on January 19, 2012, 12:42:34 PM
I find it unlikely that it wasn't a cliche story in the early 70s, but it's possible.

Actually, there were sociological papers looking at how Lucas used and combined classic elements in a new way...

Yep,

Joseph Campbell was interviewed by PBS shortly before his death.  During those interviews  Campbell had a wide ranging discussion regarding the power of myth in which he frequently made references to the use of mythological archetypes in the original Star Wars trilogy.

I know its a classic appeal to authority.  But if it was good enough for Campbell...

Valmy

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on January 19, 2012, 02:01:12 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 19, 2012, 01:58:58 PM
Elaborate.

I think Casablanca has the worst writing ever, every line is some cliche.

The archetypes that were used in Star Wars became new somehow?

Maximus

One of the greatest irritations of the Star Wars setting to me is that is is this sort of frankensteinic mishmash of fantasy and science fiction. (Incidentally I have the same problem with Dune).

I can see how that would be interesting to those who study storytelling.

PDH

Time to obfuscate.

There are mythic archetypes that run throughout Indo-European narratives.  They have impact because they are fundamentally/essentially true stories that culturally stay relevant.  These basic elements can be recombined in new ways, and when they are they often become catalysts to new thoughts, expressions, ways of explaining the world, etc.

Star Wars took basic myth elements and recombined them in such a way at to appeal.  While I am not equating them to fundamentally important myths, they were impactful enough that the method became common.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Kleves

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 19, 2012, 12:52:27 PM
I had a problem with an all powerful Jedi Knight allowing a young boy to risk his life in a crazy race so the Knight could acquire a spare part for his broken down spaceship and then when it is time to leave tells the boy - I am not here to save your mother.  And then the learned council turns the training of this boy, who normally would not be admitted due to his age and who is very powerful in the force, over to one of their most inexperienced members.
Plus, you know, midichlorians.  :bleeding:
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

The Brain

Quote from: PDH on January 19, 2012, 02:09:53 PM
Time to obfuscate.

There are mythic archetypes that run throughout Indo-European narratives.  They have impact because they are fundamentally/essentially true stories that culturally stay relevant.  These basic elements can be recombined in new ways, and when they are they often become catalysts to new thoughts, expressions, ways of explaining the world, etc.

Star Wars took basic myth elements and recombined them in such a way at to appeal.  While I am not equating them to fundamentally important myths, they were impactful enough that the method became common.

The only thing new was putting them in space. Which is not nothing, but not a lot either. Lightsabers and starships had a wee bit more to do with the appeal than any archetype combinations.

PDH

I am not saying the effects were not what drew me in as a 10 year old in the mid 1970s, however some of the appeal (and the fanboi reaction to changes of the cannon) strike me as much more about the mythic element and the appeal of the combinations Lucas used.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

crazy canuck

Quote from: PDH on January 19, 2012, 02:19:20 PM
I am not saying the effects were not what drew me in as a 10 year old in the mid 1970s, however some of the appeal (and the fanboi reaction to changes of the cannon) strike me as much more about the mythic element and the appeal of the combinations Lucas used.

Yep, and you forgot to obfuscate that time.

The Brain

Quote from: PDH on January 19, 2012, 02:19:20 PM

The archetypes are powerful story parts, that's why they've been around so long. I just don't see Star Wars doing anything new with them (except the "hey what if... we put Mentor in space? With a lightsaber? Cool!").