News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Door "selection" in dance clubs

Started by Martinus, January 10, 2012, 07:49:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

So, for those of you who go to dance clubs and the like (yeah, I know, a small group in this collection of nerds and old people), how frequent/popular in your country/area is "door selection" at the clubs and bars and what does it entail?

By "door selection" I mean a bouncer at the door refusing to let some people in.

Here it ranges from a full blown "I don't like your face" faggotry, to the bouncers essentially keeping out people who look too drunk/aggressive/trouble, and I was wondering how that pans out in other places.

Eddie Teach

I wouldn't go to any night club that would let me in the door.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on January 10, 2012, 07:49:21 AM
Here it ranges from a full blown "I don't like your face" faggotry, to the bouncers essentially keeping out people who look too drunk/aggressive/trouble, and I was wondering how that pans out in other places.

Exactly what they should be doing. The intrest of the club.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Sheilbh

I know there are clubs that won't let you in if you're not cool enough.  But I don't go to them.

But most clubs have bouncers that will, for example, keep out groups of lads clearly looking for trouble or the seriously drunk.  Not all bouncers actually do that, but I don't go to those clubs.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Marti's a fag, so the only door "selection" process he's worried about is how he can get into the bathroom stall.

Drakken

Here is Montreal even lower-class pubs, if it targets a certain young or "in" crowd, have doormen and a lineup at the door. It's now a standard, as the mere presence of such makes the place "in" for people to gather, and it's a neat way to at least control the entrance when it's already packed.

Never had a doorman stop me from entering for other reasons than to wait my turn, ever. That said, I've never had any problem befriending these guys, be it in a club, a bar, or the house goon at a strip joint. The most a doorman's ever done to me is search for weapons or drugs, and it was in a 14-18 club when I was a teen.

11B4V

Quote from: Drakken on January 10, 2012, 08:29:16 AM
Here is Montreal even lower-class pubs, if it targets a certain young or "in" crowd, have doormen and a lineup at the door. It's now a standard, as the mere presence of such makes the place "in" for people to gather, and it's a neat way to at least control the entrance when it's already packed.

Never had a doorman stop me from entering for other reasons than to wait my turn, ever. That said, I've never had any problem befriending these guys, be it in a club, a bar, or the house goon at a strip joint. The most a doorman's ever done to me is search for weapons or drugs, and it was in a 14-18 club when I was a teen.

Noteriatey or Infamy is also good. When the head bouncer says, "Here comes trouble", which you reply, " You got that right" and lets you in. This is after tipping over their club golf cart in the parking lot during closing the weekend before. Or doulbe fisting double wild turkey and cokes, falling down and wiping out two tables in the process.

Ah, the memories.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on January 10, 2012, 08:57:14 AM
Quote from: Drakken on January 10, 2012, 08:29:16 AM

Noteriatey or Infamy is also good. When the head bouncer says, "Here comes trouble", which you reply, " You got that right" and lets you in. This is after tipping over their club golf cart in the parking lot during closing the weekend before. Or doulbe fisting double wild turkey and cokes, falling down and wiping out two tables in the process.

Ah, the memories.
:lol:

:cheers:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Martinus

Josquius

Its been pretty rare that I've found it and often for the most retarded reasons. It pisses me off greatly.
The most particularly stupid and common one is that you have to wear black shoes- super well dressed and obviously wealthy with £1000 trainers is a no go but cheap £5 black shoes and looking like a slob is fine.

Also annoying was one particular club in Amsterdam (actually quite lame once I did get into it) which had an unofficial no foreigners policy.
██████
██████
██████

11B4V

HVC

Here they mostly make sure people meet the dress code and keep drunk people out. then there's the pat down people one you're past the door.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

11B4V

Quote from: HVC on January 10, 2012, 10:16:45 AM
Here they mostly make sure people meet the dress code and keep drunk people out. then there's the pat down people one you're past the door.

When I was stationed over in Germany, back when there was 250K US military, I didnt see much of a problem with that. Money I guess. There was this little place outside of Manheim(sound it out Marty) called the Mad Cafe. Happy hour was from 1800-2100 IIRC. You could get one shot with a mixer for a Mark. Myself and a buddy usually plopped down 20 marks each. We would order 20 shots of Ouzo and coke. One night I passed out in the store room and woke up at midnight. Dont know how I got there. A few open bags of pretzils and potato chips scattered everywhere. Went out and order another round. Paid the owner for the grub too. Another night my buddy punched the bathroom sink and shattered it. They never found out about that. Another night we started a huge brawl. Still never got kicked out.

One thing that impressed me about Germany (west), was you could be shit sloppy drunk, pass out in the bushes, and no one would bother you. Even in a big city. Here in the US, you'd get robbed, stabbed or so forth.

HVC

Drunks are gropey :P That and in this day and age if they walk out of the club and get run over the club gets sued by the family. So safer to keep them out. Besides, if they're already shit faced they're less likely to buy more alcohol. better to let the sober ones in so they can get drunk :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.