French lawmakers pass genocide law on Armenians

Started by jimmy olsen, December 22, 2011, 08:15:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: dps on December 22, 2011, 06:25:44 PM
OTOH, I used to like to watch Mannix, and Mike Connors is Armenian, so I guess Armenians are OK in my book.

Gadzooks!

And when I was in France in 1987 Mannix was the #1`show on TV, so the subject has come full circle.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

Yes, I pulled the old France loves Jerry Lewis thing out of my butt. Soak in it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Excuse me, but some of us do support capital punishment.  (And the right to own guns, but given the qualifier, I don't have a problem with that part of your statement)

Do you tout it though? I'm pretty okay but I don't go about touting it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Excuse me, but some of us do support capital punishment. 
I haven't heard anyone here "tout" it, though.  Look the word up.  It's the word Marti used.

Edit:  Beaten by Garbo.  Point stands, though.  But maybe I'm making too big a deal over Marti's choice of words in a language wherein he isn't a native speaker.

Still, plenty of Euro liberals have supported the DP in the past, so Marti is wrong there, as well.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on December 22, 2011, 05:20:54 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 22, 2011, 04:38:51 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 22, 2011, 04:22:12 PM
They were using explicitly Catholic symbols because their religion was being suppressed.  They later shifted to Royalist and Catholic Symbols.  It's unfortunate because he central government was vicious, blood thirsty and paranoid at the time.  A government that is putting people on barges and then sinking them because of their religion is committing genocide.

So you are just going to ignore all my points and just keep saying 'it's a genocide' over and over again hoping that will convince me?

The central government thought they would allow the coalition to land and restore the monarchy so they reacted brutally.  Just like the English government did when they thought the Irish were going to open the door to the Spanish.  In retrospect they were probably mistaken.  But as you say paranoia was really ruling the day in Paris.  For not completely insane reasons, but reasons of their own making: their dealings with the Catholic Church.

What fantasies the Central government entertained are irrelevant.  It does not matter if they think they will bring back the King, or because they fear they will pollute their pure bloodlines, or because they think they Martians in disguise.  When a government commits crimes like this they always think they are justified.  It is the action that matters, not the excuses.  The actions of the French government go well beyond simple war and even repression.
I agree, their actions went well beyond brutal oppression and crossed the line into genocide.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 22, 2011, 08:06:36 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 22, 2011, 05:20:54 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 22, 2011, 04:38:51 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 22, 2011, 04:22:12 PM
They were using explicitly Catholic symbols because their religion was being suppressed.  They later shifted to Royalist and Catholic Symbols.  It's unfortunate because he central government was vicious, blood thirsty and paranoid at the time.  A government that is putting people on barges and then sinking them because of their religion is committing genocide.

So you are just going to ignore all my points and just keep saying 'it's a genocide' over and over again hoping that will convince me?

The central government thought they would allow the coalition to land and restore the monarchy so they reacted brutally.  Just like the English government did when they thought the Irish were going to open the door to the Spanish.  In retrospect they were probably mistaken.  But as you say paranoia was really ruling the day in Paris.  For not completely insane reasons, but reasons of their own making: their dealings with the Catholic Church.

What fantasies the Central government entertained are irrelevant.  It does not matter if they think they will bring back the King, or because they fear they will pollute their pure bloodlines, or because they think they Martians in disguise.  When a government commits crimes like this they always think they are justified.  It is the action that matters, not the excuses.  The actions of the French government go well beyond simple war and even repression.
I agree, their actions went well beyond brutal oppression and crossed the line into genocide.

You win, Valmy!  If Timmay and Raz agree you are wrong, you are most certainly right.  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 22, 2011, 08:08:03 PM
What people were they trying to eliminate?

This is Timmay.  He thinks that, when the Patriots lose, that is genocide.

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on December 22, 2011, 11:28:53 AM
Putting the Japanese in camps during WWII is "Doing something really, really shitty to people".  I rather think that the Vendee goes a bit beyond that.
You would be wrong.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 22, 2011, 08:06:36 PM
Translation:

"I don't know what genocide means, but I think it's like something really bad."

The next step would be 'neogenocide'.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Martinus' idea of liberalism that he can do whatever he wants, but anybody who calls him a braindead faggot who makes the Kaczynski look like smart Poles by comparison would get the death penalty.

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 22, 2011, 08:08:03 PM
What people were they trying to eliminate?

I would say Catholicism.  Closing up the Churches and executing the priests and nuns does give that impression.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on December 22, 2011, 08:19:38 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 22, 2011, 11:28:53 AM
Putting the Japanese in camps during WWII is "Doing something really, really shitty to people".  I rather think that the Vendee goes a bit beyond that.
You would be wrong.

When did you start siding with regicides?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on December 22, 2011, 08:33:11 PM
I would say Catholicism.  Closing up the Churches and executing the priests and nuns does give that impression.
Catholicism's not a people.  Assuming you mean Catholics in the Vendee, did they succeed?
Let's bomb Russia!