Yanks, how does it feel to soon become the new China?

Started by Ape, December 10, 2011, 06:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

I didn't realize China was so strict about IP protection.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Neil

What difference does it make?  No matter what laws they pass, they'll never be able to protect intellectual property.  That age has passed.  Even if they want to get hardcore about it, the only thing that'll accomplish is to move more of the infrastructure of the Internet out of the US.  Still, not really a big deal.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on December 10, 2011, 07:39:35 PM
S = { pirates, hackers} ?

Whatever.  The difference in motivation and damage are so different that about the only thing in common is that they both use the Internet.

What is "S" in this?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tonitrus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 10, 2011, 09:08:49 PM
I didn't realize China was so strict about IP protection.

Goverment-run corporations demanding that other government-run (or otherwise adequately subdued) companies cease and desist using IP?  Probably runs smoothly.

The Brain

How long until any site that suggests that the world is older than 6,000 years gets shut down?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on December 11, 2011, 03:18:45 AM
Not really.

Yep.  I'm telling you, you went into the wrong business.  Me, I'm actually bad at mathematics.  I count on my fingers have trouble with simple sums.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on December 11, 2011, 04:20:33 AM
Yep.  I'm telling you, you went into the wrong business.

Unfortunately, doing well in high school math doesn't by itself qualify one for any particular career.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 11, 2011, 04:25:45 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 11, 2011, 04:20:33 AM
Yep.  I'm telling you, you went into the wrong business.

Unfortunately, doing well in high school math doesn't by itself qualify one for any particular career.

Ide also went to college.  Presumably he passed those classes as well.  The guy should be an engineer or something.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Razgovory on December 10, 2011, 07:23:49 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 10, 2011, 07:17:42 PM
Brown Wolf posted an article about a week ago.

Musta missed it.  Oh, well.  I'm waiting for the law where pirates and hackers are drawn and quartered.  People who create trojans and worms are impaled on spikes, and those who create malware are put inside a brazen bull.

I'm not sure congress wants to make a law that will effectively kill the CIA recruitment efforts.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Eddie Teach

If we have capital punishment for hacking, that makes us much more vulnerable to Russian and Chinese hackers.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Lamar Smith proposes an insane law and this is news?  I would be more freaked out by the headline: Lamar Smith proposes sensible and well thought out legislation.  I would presume he had been kidnapped and replaced by a double.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."