And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2012

Started by Maladict, December 10, 2011, 09:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Quote from: mongers on March 24, 2012, 05:18:33 PM
Quote from: PDH on March 24, 2012, 05:06:37 PM
I looked at bikes in Fort Collins today.

:hmm:

Summer will be here in a couple of weeks.  Due to my bad discs in the old back I can't mountain bike anymore.  Instead, I plan to road bike now.  I still want to do 100-120 miles a week once summer is here, now I just need someone to buy me a hugely expensive bike.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on March 25, 2012, 08:53:27 AM
Quote from: mongers on March 24, 2012, 05:18:33 PM
Quote from: PDH on March 24, 2012, 05:06:37 PM
I looked at bikes in Fort Collins today.

:hmm:

Summer will be here in a couple of weeks.  Due to my bad discs in the old back I can't mountain bike anymore.  Instead, I plan to road bike now.  I still want to do 100-120 miles a week once summer is here, now I just need someone to buy me a hugely expensive bike.

:cool: 

I'm somewhat torn on the issue of road bikes for us more elderly people, I've found the one with drops and traditional aggressive geometry, end up putting to much strain on my upper back and neck, whereas the somewhat hybrid-like one with wide flat bars is just right for me on the road, though obviously I can't reach the higher speeds due to increase drag.

And my cheap single speed, where I spend a good amount of time out of the saddle, has been a godsend for my fitness and upper body strength.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Had a hospital appointment at the hospital further up the valley, since it was such a nice late afternoon/early evening, I ended up going onto Salisbury and then paid a quick visit to Stonehenge.

Nice little 60+ mile round trip, but I had to do it on my single speed, not the ideal choice considering some of the hills, but there's no way I'm leaving a decent bike anywhere unattended for an hour in the UK.  :bowler:

Iormlund

Haven't been able to go to the gym in two weeks. First a business trip, then I fell ill with some shit. Head hurts, sore throat and such.
Probably because, as it turns out, my leucocites are too low. Though I thought that was the point of the whole immuno-suppression medication. Need to work on B9 and iron deficiencies as well ...

Faeelin

Started crossfit. So far, after a month and change, not overly impressed.

mongers

Quote from: Faeelin on March 31, 2012, 02:07:19 PM

What is it supposed to achieve, strength, stamina ?

Faeelin

Increase in endurance, and some toning.

I don't know. I feel like a lot of the workouts are designed to make it appear that you're lifting heavy weights, but they do so by using your body's momentum.

mongers

Well I cycled 600 miles last month, 1/3 off-road, 2/3 road/urban, which is a lot for me. 

So this month I have decided to take it easy and do everything with the minimum of effort.  :cool:

Drakken

Quote from: Faeelin on March 31, 2012, 02:07:19 PM

Eat moar. Don't dwell on newbie gains.

And muscles take time to build, in fact their overrepair while you are asleep. Exercise stimulates them and micro-tears their tissues so that the body can repair them while you rest. If your sleeping habits suck ass results will suffer as well.

Drakken

Oh, and finally squatted over my body weight today.  :showoff:

mongers

Went for a nice 55 mile round trip through the Dorset countryside on my folding bike; rained a bit, but very enjoyable.

I thoroughly washed the floors before I went out and I found that more effort than the cycling.

Route here:
http://tinyurl.com/d4k8va4

Maladict

150km race on the bike yesterday.
First time since October since I actually rode a bike, so it took a bit of getting used to. Everything went just fine until the rain and hailstorms came.
I got so cold I had to crash the bike into some building because I had no feeling left in my hands whatsoever. Bike survived and I did eventually finish  :cool:.
Also: a 22% gradient is pretty tough going.

Eddie Teach

2012 is the year it all falls apart. At least as far as my fitness goes.  :Embarrass:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on April 15, 2012, 09:05:52 AM
150km race on the bike yesterday.
First time since October since I actually rode a bike, so it took a bit of getting used to. Everything went just fine until the rain and hailstorms came.
I got so cold I had to crash the bike into some building because I had no feeling left in my hands whatsoever. Bike survived and I did eventually finish  :cool:.
Also: a 22% gradient is pretty tough going.

Good grief that's hardcore, hope you're all right.

I'm not good on gradients especially on my single speed when they're sudden sharp inclines, have have been known to get off and push. :Embarrass:

150 km makes my occasional 90-100 km on the folder or single speed look rather poor.

Good luck with you're recovery.