And we're back!

Main Menu

Iranian Forces Go On War Alert!

Started by jimmy olsen, December 06, 2011, 06:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: AnchorClanker on December 06, 2011, 06:53:27 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on December 06, 2011, 06:51:16 PM
Should we be concerned over the Persian tiger?

No, unless you think we have leaders foolish enough to bother pulling the tail more than is necessary.

How much is necessary?

The biggest problem with the Iranians is they aren't all on the same page.  There seems to be some competition between factions in the Iranian state.  One side might go to far in trying to out do the other one and end up doing something stupid.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

JonasSalk

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on December 06, 2011, 06:51:16 PM
Should we be concerned over the Persian tiger?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_tiger

QuoteThe Caspian tiger, also known as the Turan tiger and Hyrcanian tiger, is an extinct tiger subspecies

I think we're safe.
Yuman

Josquius

Ah, the good old external threat, pulled straight from the "How to keep power when things go awry" chapter of the My First Dictatorship playbook.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on December 06, 2011, 09:00:37 PM
Ah, the good old external threat, pulled straight from the "How to keep power when things go awry" chapter of the My First Dictatorship playbook.

I'm not sure that's really a good strategy.  The Argentines tried that one.  It didn't help.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on December 06, 2011, 09:07:10 PM

I'm not sure that's really a good strategy.  The Argentines tried that one.  It didn't help.

But they were taking on a formidable power, us, backed by the Americans.

In this situation it's the Iranians taking on the Americans 'backed' * by the Israelis.

*most of the chinese made air defence and anti-ship missiles have been so slavishly copied that they've included the stenciled in star of david.  :hmm:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on December 06, 2011, 08:52:41 PMExactly.  Let them lead us to their "secret sites."  Klaatu barada nikto, as the Romans would say.

:lol:

Besides, the OP says the IRG is mobilizing. Not the Iranian military as a whole.

No biggie.

Josquius

The Argentines didn't bank on a British leader who also desperately needed an external threat to keep her hold on power.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on December 06, 2011, 09:50:11 PM

The Argentines didn't bank on a British leader who also desperately needed an external threat to keep her hold on power.

So cynical.

Razgovory

Quote from: mongers on December 06, 2011, 09:20:02 PM

But they were taking on a formidable power, us, backed by the Americans.

In this situation it's the Iranians taking on the Americans 'backed' * by the Israelis.

*most of the chinese made air defence and anti-ship missiles have been so slavishly copied that they've included the stenciled in star of david.  :hmm:

That seems a worse idea.  Rattling sabres to distract from an internal problem may work (I'm not really sure on that), but fighting a war causes a great deal of instability.  Especially a war against a much larger, stronger power.  I doubt the people will pleased if the US destroys every civilian power plant in the country or destroyed all the railway tunnels and railway bridges.  They may initially be angry with the US, but they'll get tired of sitting in the dark after a while and their anger may very well turn on the government for putting them in such a situation.

Razgovory

Would any British leader have realistically conceded territory to a militant aggressor?

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 06, 2011, 09:51:41 PM

So cynical.

He'll tie the coal mines to it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on December 06, 2011, 09:53:35 PM

Would any British leader have realistically conceded territory to a militant aggressor?
Any decent British leader wouldn't have practically invited them in in the first place.

QuoteThat seems a worse idea.  Rattling sabres to distract from an internal problem may work (I'm not really sure on that), but fighting a war causes a great deal of instability.  Especially a war against a much larger, stronger power.  I doubt the people will pleased if the US destroys every civilian power plant in the country or destroyed all the railway tunnels and railway bridges.  They may initially be angry with the US, but they'll get tired of sitting in the dark after a while and their anger may very well turn on the government for putting them in such a situation.
I doubt it would actually come to war- what do they stand to gain afterall?
It probably is just sabre rattling, but the more they rattle the more they drown out the murmurs of protest at home.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

How did she "invite" them?  was punch served?

Josephus

At first I saw the subject heading as Italian forces go on war alert and was all like..."huh?"
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Jacob

I expect this has something to do with the split between Khamenei and Ahmadinejad somehow. Does anyone have links to decent analysis on the situation?