If You Could Redo Your Life, What Age Would You Start?

Started by Admiral Yi, December 01, 2011, 06:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Ultimately, yes, but I doubt I could have much effect on Robert Stack's outstanding vocal performance as Ultra Magnus recorded in 1985 or the 1991 decision of a Middle Eastern dictator to invade a neighboring country.

My belief is that social and political systems are very robust, in the short term, to butterfly effects.  Now, if I went back fifty years (I suppose through physical time travel), my differing actions would change the entire genetic makeup of half the population of the United States, if not the world, and we'd have different personalities involved in politics, although perhaps the underlying social movements would remain relatively unchanged.*  But I would certainly be unlikely to change 1960s counterculture or the failure of our efforts in Vietnam.

*Fun fact: this is why all those dumb movies and books that think that only "overt" actions can change the past are fucking retarded.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

Age 19, right after school and military service.

Instead of going the public administration route that put me inadvertedly on the path of accounting that I've "enjoyed" for the past 12 years, I should have gone to university, though I wasn't sure what to inscribe (probably history or literature), and aying for it would have been very hard, even with state support.

But overall, my current life isn't *that* bad.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Of course: history and literature, the age-old paths to success... ;)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

Quote from: Ideologue on December 02, 2011, 12:16:36 AM
Of course: history and literature, the age-old paths to success... ;)

At least I would be miserable with something I'm interested in. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Barrister on December 01, 2011, 11:49:43 PM
I can't imagine anything more isolating that being a 36 year old trapped in a child's body.  Adults aren't going to be your friend - too creepy.  Other kids aren't going to have anything in common with you.

Seriously.  See Alia Atreides for a wonderful example.
Experience bij!

Lettow77

Seventh grade would be a great time to begin, but then again, I have no memory to re-live my home life.  I don't think I have the energy, but post-home life its too late to effect meaningful desirable change.

Wait, that's not true- freshman year of college I could've made an important, different choice. So I guess i'll go with that.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on December 01, 2011, 11:49:43 PM
I can't imagine anything more isolating that being a 36 year old trapped in a child's body.  Adults aren't going to be your friend - too creepy.  Other kids aren't going to have anything in common with you.

I think the worst part would be nicotine withdrawal.

It'd be interesting to experience a collapse of sexual desire, though.

I can imagine not having kid friends wouldn't be so bad.  Little children (one's own excepted) are obnoxious.  At the high school level, I think one might just come off as rather mature.

And I can think of plenty more isolating experiences.  I mean, you've seen Castaway right?  And how about gaol?
Kinemalogue

Viking

rather than buy apple shares,

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0904494.html

leverage yourself to the hilt go all in on shorting the major bankrupcies of our time, presumably a much better "investment".. 
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Larch

At almost any point between late high school and college, I guess. Childhood is nice but as a memory, I have no particular interest in reliving it. Late teenage and early adulthood would be far more interesting moments to start applying my new found wisdom. I'd no doubt use most of it to get into more girls' panties than I did.

Brazen

I can pretty much pick the exact date. Age 17, I wouldn't have sacrificed my studies for boys and booze had I known how easy both are to come across later in life. I'd have taken the Oxbridge exams, gone to Cambridge (my school was a feeder school) and met and divorced someone rich. Or become a spy.

Octavian

I first read the topic as "if you could Pedo your life, what age would you start...

If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Sheilbh

17.  Largely the same reasons as Brazen.  The only reason I'd go younger would be to not give up musical instruments :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

dps

The day after my stepfather died, I guess.  Anything before that, I'd probably kill him myself.