News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish Republicans, who's your guy?

Started by Jacob, November 30, 2011, 07:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Of the current field of Republican potential nominees, who's your guy?

Romney
5 (11.9%)
Gingrich
1 (2.4%)
Cain
3 (7.1%)
Perry
0 (0%)
Huntsman
2 (4.8%)
Paul
3 (7.1%)
Jaron
2 (4.8%)
Bachmann
2 (4.8%)
I'm not a Republican, but I like voting in polls
23 (54.8%)
Other
1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 41

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 01, 2011, 05:37:44 AM
Quote from: Jacob on November 30, 2011, 07:49:31 PM
Hey Yi - who's your guy?

I'll most liikely vote for Obama.

Good man.

However, if Huntsman got elected, I will most likely not begin establishing residence in Canada.   Any of those other GOP yahoos, and I'm buying flannel.

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on December 01, 2011, 10:15:28 AM
I'm one of the few actual registered Republicans here, but none of the candidates excite me. 
Same here.

Ideologue

Quote from: DGuller on December 01, 2011, 12:01:49 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 01, 2011, 10:15:28 AM
I'm one of the few actual registered Republicans here, but none of the candidates excite me. 
Same here.

Well, me either, but I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

derspiess

Quote from: fahdiz on December 01, 2011, 12:15:44 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 01, 2011, 11:59:05 AM
Quote from: fahdiz on December 01, 2011, 10:53:39 AM
For reals?

Yes.

Would you mind explaining that thought process?

I think Yi is suffering from singleissueitis.  Anyway, he's mentioned his intent to vote for Obama many times here; not sure why you guys are so surprised.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

fhdz

Quote from: derspiess on December 01, 2011, 12:23:59 PM
I think Yi is suffering from singleissueitis.  Anyway, he's mentioned his intent to vote for Obama many times here; not sure why you guys are so surprised.

I haven't been around much until lately.
and the horse you rode in on

Admiral Yi

HE GOT THE OSAMA!

Seriously, I think the stimulus concept (if not the execution) was very defensible.  Same with Obamacare (if not the smoke and mirrors used to fund it).  He was judicious during Tahir Square.

Most importantly, I think the basic premise driving his negatives--that unemployment, growth, and income are functions of "presidential leadership"--is total bullshit.  There's no simple explanation for why unemployment has lasted as long as it has, and anyone who has a magic answer is peddling snake oil.

I'm not crazy about his populist rhetoric or policies or his split the difference approach to problem solving (i.e. Afghanistan), but all in all the guy deserves a 2nd term.  Especially with such a piss poor GOP field.

Also I think the US is trapped in a destructive political revenge cycle, and if I, as a right of center voter, can help overcome it by voting for the other guy then that's great.

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 01, 2011, 12:42:17 PM
Most importantly, I think the basic premise driving his negatives--that unemployment, growth, and income are functions of "presidential leadership"--is total bullshit.  There's no simple explanation for why unemployment has lasted as long as it has, and anyone who has a magic answer is peddling snake oil.

The problem with this is that as a conservative, I agree that government can't really create employment (except to a very limited extent), growth, and income--that the best it can do is provide regulations that don't destroy employment, growth, and income.  But I don't see why I should vote for a candidate who seems to believe that government can create those things, and who, even worse, favors policies which I think will undermine them.

Rasputin

I'm a registered republican and a donor.

I hate this field and am frustrated at the fact that the front runner appears to be a rhino at best and the republican version of dukakis at worst.

Were the election today, I'm would vote Gingrich. All of the fundraisers i know are however mitt men and I have politely declined. I may not donate to anyone this cycle or may wait for the general to see where we are.
Who is John Galt?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: dps on December 01, 2011, 02:01:28 PM
The problem with this is that as a conservative, I agree that government can't really create employment (except to a very limited extent), growth, and income--that the best it can do is provide regulations that don't destroy employment, growth, and income.  But I don't see why I should vote for a candidate who seems to believe that government can create those things, and who, even worse, favors policies which I think will undermine them.

As for a candidate who believes government can create those things, unfortunately all the Republican candidates seem to have bought into the myth that unemployment will disappear the instant taxes are cut.  So it's not like there's an alternative there.   Well, maybe Ron Paul.  But then you have to accept the gold standard baggage.

And about the only Obama policy I would agree undermines job creation is the extension of unemployment benefits.  You really can't argue that the stimulus bill or his proposal for new hiring tax credits undermines job creation.