And we're back!

Main Menu

No more Rhinos in Vietnam.

Started by Razgovory, October 25, 2011, 07:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on October 30, 2011, 05:24:20 PM
Don't blame me, I just don't work here.
Well, it's to be expected.  America abandoned working together in favour of individualism, and also abandoned Christianity, which despite being a laughable pack of nonsense at least allowed people to go about their doomed little lives in peace.  These days, people think that the world owes them a luxurious lifestyle.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

That you do. I'd like a ballwasher.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 30, 2011, 05:40:16 PM
That you do. I'd like a ballwasher.
You should hire some Americans to be menials.  Improve the economy and all that.

Except they'd rob you, because Americans don't make good workers.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

I'd have to pay them more than 8 bucks an hour.

Ideologue

I was reading an article the other day about how white people make really bad fruit-pickers, and tend to quit within hours or days.  Doesn't seem terribly hard to me.  Time outdoors, time to think.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on October 30, 2011, 06:23:15 PM
I was reading an article the other day about how white people make really bad fruit-pickers, and tend to quit within hours or days.  Doesn't seem terribly hard to me.  Time outdoors, time to think.
It's hard, physical work for fairly low pay.  That's not the sort of thing that whites, east asians or blacks can do.

Ed Anger

Alabama is wanting their beaners back.

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on October 30, 2011, 06:27:05 PM
It's hard, physical work for fairly low pay.  That's not the sort of thing that whites, east asians or blacks can do.

Same article said that a good one could make $150/day, but it wasn't clear what "day" meant in that case.  If eight hours, it pays more than doc review.  If sixteen, it still doesn't pay utterly poorly compared to comparable positions.  Certainly no white person is going to work sixteen hours a day in a field, but eight, I don't see the harm.  Then again, the article also pointed out that the whites they hired were so bad at it that they weren't making anything close to $150/day, more like $50, as it's piecework.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Siege

You are wrong. Hard labor does not let you think.
On the contrary, hard physical labor makes you stupier.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: Siege on October 30, 2011, 06:37:25 PM

You are wrong. Hard labor does not let you think.
On the contrary, hard physical labor makes you stupier.

Nonsense.  Mechanical clerical work might, but routinized physical tasks leave little to distract from the imagination.  Maybe if one is an idiot in the first place, "there's a fruit, move my arm" may fully task one's processing abilities, but even then I doubt it.
Kinemalogue

Neil

Depends on the fruit.  There can be a trick to it.

sbr

When I was in college I spent 2 summers working at the berry processing plant my friend's dad owned.  Most of the work involved standing at the conveyor belt on the sorting lines and picking out the bad berries for 12 hours a day and the vast majority of the workers were Mexicans.  I think there were a small handful of Americans who didn't know the owner who ever worked there.  I got out of school a month earlier than everyone in the Oregon schools, so out of all of the friends I got first pick of jobs the first summer and I ended up in the "QA Lab"* and running the receiving department.** 

The rest of my white American friends came in later after they got out of school.  They ended up stuck on the sorting lines and none of them lasted more than 3 days even though they were getting paid more than they were worth and were working for a good friend's dad who did them a favor to give them the jobs.  Though to be fair to them they lasted a couple of days longer than the average American who did the job.  In the meantime getting the Mexicans to stop working and go home was not always easy, even after a 12 hour (6PM to 6AM) shift.

*Mostly involved doing crossword puzzles while having to check the sugar content of the sliced strawberries + sugar product every 30 minutes.

**Worked the scales while the stinky Russian farmers brought their berries in and had to explain to them again why they weren't getting full price because they let their pickers put too many berries in each crate so they got smashed.

Josquius

That's what they think too. For the first hour or so. Labouring all day does suck.
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

I dunno.  I've worked physical jobs.
Kinemalogue