Attention whoring thread de jour: Any acid reflux sufferers here?

Started by Martinus, October 21, 2011, 04:13:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

So, I have a diagnostic appointment scheduled for Monday but alll signs point to that I have GERD (Gastroesophageal reflux disease). I have been researching online the foods that can and cannot be eaten with it and the results are contradictory (e.g. some people say you can or indeed should eat apples and carrots, others say that you shouldn't).

So I'm wondering if anyone here suffers from it or has someone who suffers from it in their household, and that could give some advice about what to eat and what to avoid.

Martinus

Incidentally, between the prostatitis (can't do anal) and GERD (can't drink alcohol or coffee, eat fat food, chocolate, icecream and sweets), I'm beginning to think my karma sucks.  <_<

Brazen

What symptoms make you think you've got GERD, oh hypochondriac one? I've had all sorts of gastric problems in the past which turned out to have simple cures.

Acid reflux (perhaps the old name for GERD?) - Stopped laying down until at least 2 hours after eating (and especially after drinking wine which brings it on)
IBS - Ditched the stressful job and personal life
Food intolerances/bloating - lost weight, ate healthier (and smaller portions!), fitted in my clothes without my waistband cutting me in half.

The only way to really find out if any particular food type brings on any kind of gastric symptoms is an elimination diet, which is not fun. If you're given medication or any other treatment without this, it's a bit of a waste.

Martinus

Well, I actually didn't think I have it. I went to a laryngologist, because I had a chronic case of sore throat (recently very painful) and was short of breath.

I described the symptoms (no fever, worse pain in the morning than during day, worse pain when I lie down, drinking water/swallowing actually making it less painful than vice-versa, gets worse after drinking alcohol, especially wine, bad breath, dryness of throat) and she examined me (and found nothing wrong with the throat) and said it sounds like a textbook case of acid reflux (aka GERD). She also asked if I feel acidic aftertaste and I do indeed.

Martinus

I also drink a lot of wine and coffee, so it's like a classic culprit.

Josquius

Hands up who thought this was something about gay nerds.
██████
██████
██████

Brazen

Try something like this - rather than neutralising the acid like standard treatments, it stops too much acid being produced. It's a tiny 24-hour pill.
http://www.boots.com/en/Zantac-75-Relief-12-Tablets_5065/

For immediate relief, one of the liquids that coats your oesophagus on the way down is great, like Gaviscon. Reflux can be a bit of a vicious cycle, so taking it regularly for a week rather than just when you're uncomfortable could help break you out of it.

Good luck! :hug:

Martinus

Richard Hakluyt

Had a bad bout of acid reflux back in 2003 while on holiday in France. When I returned to England and our fine honest ales the condition went away........never to recur  :yeah:

So :

1. stop going to France.

2. stop drinking wine and switch to English beer.

Viking

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 21, 2011, 05:36:38 AM
Had a bad bout of acid reflux back in 2003 while on holiday in France. When I returned to England and our fine honest ales the condition went away........never to recur  :yeah:

So :

1. stop going to France.

2. stop drinking wine and switch to English beer.

CAMRA FTW
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ed Anger

I've had it for a while. I'm on the OTC Pepcid, but I've been on others. I missed a couple of doses, and I get the sour stomach and can't sleep shit.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

derspiess

I tried eliminating spicy foods, coffee & other caffeinated drinks, alcohol, etc. from my diet & found that not only did that make me miserable, I still had acid reflux.  So for me 40mg of Omeprazole per day was the magic bullet.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on October 21, 2011, 09:31:25 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 21, 2011, 09:26:50 AM
Stop putting ice cubes in your wine and lose weight.
How do you chill your wine then?  :huh:

If he loses weight he may find it easier to retrieve his wine bottle from the fridge and thus reduce the need for ice cubes.