Reid Uses Nuclear Option; Moron or Actively Sabotaging the Democrats?

Started by jimmy olsen, October 07, 2011, 09:29:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on October 07, 2011, 01:53:05 PM
Perhaps, but that's not really geography, unless the East Coast falls into the sea or something.
I'm not sure what point you're getting at, or whether you're being intentionally dense.  The geography that matters is the geography of the states currently held by Democrats.  It's not very favorable, as a number of Democratic seats are in states that are unlikely to vote Democrat in 2012, barring another string of shoddy plane piloting around skyscrapers.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on October 07, 2011, 12:38:10 PMYeah, if only the Republicans would be as constrained in their shenanigans as the Democrats! Then everything would be a-ok!

I neither said no implied anything about the Democrats being restrained.

QuoteIn either case, I am quite sure that neither party pushes it any harder than what they think they can get away with, or in other words, neither party is constrained by anything other than a completely selfish appraisal of risk and reward.

Sounds about right.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on October 07, 2011, 02:03:27 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 07, 2011, 01:53:05 PM
Perhaps, but that's not really geography, unless the East Coast falls into the sea or something.
I'm not sure what point you're getting at, or whether you're being intentionally dense.  The geography that matters is the geography of the states currently held by Democrats.  It's not very favorable, as a number of Democratic seats are in states that are unlikely to vote Democrat in 2012, barring another string of shoddy plane piloting around skyscrapers.

No idea how favorable it is really.  I was apparently favorable in the very recent past since the Dems still have a Majority, it may have changed recently, but then it could change back just as easily.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Still the Senate rules are going to have be reformed.  Shit just isn't getting done anymore.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: Berkut on October 07, 2011, 12:38:10 PM
Quote from: Jacob on October 07, 2011, 11:08:42 AM
If it can be done, I'm sure the Republicans will do it anyhow. It's not like they've been showing restraint in the procedural shenanigans so far.

Yeah, if only the Republicans would be as constrained in their shenanigans as the Democrats! Then everything would be a-ok!

Actually, I kind of wonder how much restraint either party HAS shown. It actually could be quite a lot, since I have no real idea what actually would be possible absent any restraint. Parliamentary rules seem pretty damn arbitrary and complex to me. Are they all pushing the edges, or is there all kinds of stuff neither does?

In either case, I am quite sure that neither party pushes it any harder than what they think they can get away with, or in other words, neither party is constrained by anything other than a completely selfish appraisal of risk and reward.

Well, back when the Republicans controlled the Senate, there was talk of using the so-called "nuclear option" a few times, but they never actually did it.  I suspect that it was largely because they realized that it could be used against them when the Democrats regained the Senate.  I'm sure next time that they control the Senate, they won't show the same level of restraint, and why should they if the Democrats don't reciprocate? 

Conclusion:  Reid is an idiot if he doesn't realize this, and a bigger idiot if he does realize it and did it anyway.