Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

The Tea Party folks are so nice, especially in comparison to the Occupod people.   ;)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: KRonn on December 16, 2011, 06:07:56 PM
The Tea Party folks are so nice, especially in comparison to the Occupod people.   ;)

Yes, all those guns at Obama rallies in 2008 were so much more polite.  Much less threatening than coffee shoptards that don't bathe for a week.

KRonn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 16, 2011, 08:54:16 PM
Quote from: KRonn on December 16, 2011, 06:07:56 PM

Yes, all those guns at Obama rallies in 2008 were so much more polite.  Much less threatening than coffee shoptards that don't bathe for a week.
Lol. Acutually, even with those gun toters the Tea Partiers were a lot more polite!   :)

garbon

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/18/nyregion/occupy-wall-street-protesters-march-against-trinity-church.html?src=mv&ref=nyregion

QuoteFrom his spot at the center of Duarte Square in Lower Manhattan, Matt Sky watched on Saturday as hundreds of protesters streamed into the public areas of the triangle-shaped space at the center of an ideological tug of war between onetime allies turned adversaries:

That began a long day of demonstrations and marches that extended as far as Times Square and resulted in at least 50 arrests.

By noon, protesters had streamed into the square from all directions under cold, cloudy skies to reinforce the vibrancy of a movement swept last month from another space, Zuccotti Park, and signal a resolve against ecclesiastical leaders resisting their wish to set up an encampment on property owned by the venerable Episcopal church.

"Everything about this movement is momentum," said Mr. Sky, 27, an Internet consultant from the East Village. "We need to show people that we are still relevant."

Even before the protesters were displaced on Nov. 15, Trinity gave many of them hot chocolate, blankets and a place to rest at a space owned by the church. But when the Occupy movement expressed an interest in setting up an organizing camp on vacant Trinity property at Canal Street and Avenue of the Americas, the church said no.

The Occupy Wall Street forces then directed their skills at the church:
They took their arguments to the streets. In familiar fashion, police officers converged on the area, standing around the perimeter.

A flier distributed by protesters summed up their mood: "While the event may include a reoccupation, the event itself is a broader celebration and expansion of Occupy Wall Street," it said. It also advised people to bring backpacks, warm clothes and sleeping bags.

About 3 p.m., several hundred people began to slowly march along the blocks around the park. They went about five blocks north, then circled back. They were carrying homemade wooden ladders, draped with yellow banners. At Grand Street, the protesters made a move: They threw a ladder fashioned into a portable staircase against a chain-link fence separating the sidewalk from the church's property.

Many people went over the fence that way. Others lifted the fence from the bottom, allowing protesters to squeeze into the space. The protesters were joined by a few clerics, including Bishop George Packard, a retired former supervisor of Episcopal military chaplains.

Within minutes, police officers began taking people into custody. About 4:15 p.m., Bishop Packard was led into a police van.

On the sidewalk, other officers pushed into a line of protesters, ordering them to disperse.

But hundreds of demonstrators marched up Seventh Avenue on Saturday evening, in the street and on the sidewalk — and against traffic.

Police vehicles — cars, scooters, vans — followed, and there were more arrests.

"Is there a problem?" said one protester, who was on a bicycle, as a police officer grabbed him on West 29th Street, near Seventh Avenue.

"The problem is you're under arrest," an officer replied.

Earlier in the day, the Rev. Stephen Chinlund, 77, an Episcopal priest who retired seven years ago, held a placard reading: "Trinity Hero of 9/11. Be a Hero Again."

The mission of the church was to help those in need, he said.

The church's rector, the Rev. Dr. James H. Cooper, expressed sadness over the protesters' actions on Saturday.

"O.W.S. protestors call out for social and economic justice; Trinity has been supporting these goals for more than 300 years," Dr. Cooper said in a statement. "We do not, however, believe that erecting a tent city at Duarte Square enhances their mission or ours."

:lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 03, 2011, 10:10:43 AM
You gotta wonder if there ever going to be point where all of this blows up.

I don't know, I think they shoot themselves in the foot by not not having a leadership and some form of define platform.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on January 15, 2012, 05:58:13 PM

I don't know, I think they shoot themselves in the foot by not not having a leadership and some form of define platform.

So you're saying they're suffering from a lack of...community organization?

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 15, 2012, 05:59:01 PM

It pains me to say it but,  I was looking at the Occupy London's web presence at it looks like their combined forum is no bigger than that Languish !

Most users ever online was 57, 14-01-2012 at 02:48 PM.

Users active in the past 24 hours
262 Users have visited the forum. 19 members and 243 guests

Occupy Forum Statistics
Threads: 390 Posts: 1,948 Members: 190 Active Members: 125
Welcome to our newest member, Bill-K

In some ways it's smaller than languish, we probably have more active members than a mass movement.  :hmm:

Darth Wagtaros

"
"O.W.S. protestors call out for social and economic justice; Trinity has been supporting these goals for more than 300 years," Dr. Cooper said in a statement. "We do not, however, believe that erecting a tent city at Duarte Square enhances their mission or ours." "

Word. 

Not really a mass movement then Drafty.
PDH!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on January 15, 2012, 09:55:42 PMIn some ways it's smaller than languish, we probably have more active members than a mass movement.  :hmm:

But we'd never get it off the ground;  too many of us would be plotting the counter-revolutionary purgers and the post-revolutionary shootings before we even came up with an actual first meeting date and a caterer.

Ideologue

My camps proposal is still stuck in committee. <_<
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 15, 2012, 10:19:30 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 15, 2012, 09:55:42 PMIn some ways it's smaller than languish, we probably have more active members than a mass movement.  :hmm:

But we'd never get it off the ground;  too many of us would be plotting the counter-revolutionary purgers and the post-revolutionary shootings before we even came up with an actual first meeting date and a caterer.

:D

Yeah, Languish is the very last place you'd look for social change to originate from.

edit:
or for that matter anything to come from.

Hell, I'm willing to bet that if two or more of the Languish Danes ever actually managed to meet up that would be far more prophecy like, than all of the 2012 Mayan bullshit.

garbon

Quote from: mongers on January 16, 2012, 03:43:11 PM
Hell, I'm willing to bet that if two or more of the Languish Danes ever actually managed to meet up that would be far more prophecy like, than all of the 2012 Mayan bullshit.

I wouldn't judge us all by Danish standards. With my own eyes, I've seen England and New England do a decent effort of getting together. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on January 16, 2012, 05:16:56 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 16, 2012, 03:43:11 PM

I wouldn't judge us all by Danish standards. With my own eyes, I've seen England and New England do a decent effort of getting together. :)

I wasn't, just that the chances of Languish Danes getting together is so improbably it makes the Mayan BS seem like a slight possibility.   ;)

Richard Hakluyt

One would think, given the size of Denmark, that they would bump into each other every now and then purely by chance  :hmm:

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: mongers on January 15, 2012, 09:55:42 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 15, 2012, 05:59:01 PM

It pains me to say it but,  I was looking at the Occupy London's web presence at it looks like their combined forum is no bigger than that Languish !

Most users ever online was 57, 14-01-2012 at 02:48 PM.

Users active in the past 24 hours
262 Users have visited the forum. 19 members and 243 guests

Occupy Forum Statistics
Threads: 390 Posts: 1,948 Members: 190 Active Members: 125
Welcome to our newest member, Bill-K

In some ways it's smaller than languish, we probably have more active members than a mass movement.  :hmm:

Maybe languish should go and occupy the occupy forum  :hmm: ?