Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Nah, I remember now.  You made a pretty good case that, tactically, John Brown was pretty dumb.  If the goal was to free slaves with direct action, he was bound to fail eventually; if the goal was to die a martyr and piss people off, though, he was pretty successful.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on November 26, 2011, 06:29:19 PM
Nah, I remember now.  You made a pretty good case that, tactically, John Brown was pretty dumb.  If the goal was to free slaves with direct action, he was bound to fail eventually; if the goal was to die a martyr and piss people off, though, he was pretty successful.

Brown's failure wasn't necessarily the plan itself--while still fatally flawed, but at least was based upon the successful slave revolts of the Caribbean--as much as it was totally underestimating the town's level of resistance.  Of course, they promptly demonstrated how they felt about the whole event with the sheer mutilation of some of the freedmen and slaves that did fight that morning.
Brown's sense of martyrdom was only realized when he was captured.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on November 25, 2011, 02:23:39 PM
It is like pro-life anti-choice people calling pro-choice people baby killers, or pro-choice people calling pro-life anti-choice people misogynists.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Ideologue

Huh, remember back when I was pro-life (anti-choice, whatever, Money)?  Ideologue: capable of change.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on November 26, 2011, 11:14:58 PM
Huh, remember back when I was pro-life (anti-choice, whatever, Money)?  Ideologue: capable of change.

I don't remember that.  I do remember when you were Pro-Bush.  But that was back on Pdox.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

You were also saddled with a psycho shitbag with Daddy issues, so yeah, you are.

Zoupa

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on November 26, 2011, 11:50:20 PM

I don't remember that.  I do remember when you were Pro-Bush.  But that was back on Pdox.

I'm not sure I was ever really pro-Bush, though I was pro some Bush policies, especially the war in Iraq.  Hell, I'm still for that.
Kinemalogue

Ed Anger

Nothing wrong with being pro bombing brown people with towels on their heads. Derka derka.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 25, 2011, 02:01:04 AM
I always thought it was an irony that though Franco had that rhetoric he decolonised while Salazar clung on to colonial possessions to the bitter end.  I should say though that I know very little about Salazarism, I simply associate it with Francoism though I'm sure there are differences.

Easy to explain: Gibraltar is a colony and Franco did not care much about the pitiful Spanish colonial remnants.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers