Wall Street protesters: We're in for the long haul

Started by garbon, October 02, 2011, 04:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Malthus on November 02, 2011, 04:53:35 PMWhat the Tea Party engages in is basically the process of politics as usual - rallies to mobilize support, getting sympathetic candidates nominated, etc.
I think that's what they ended up doing but as Yo says they moved the debate onto the deficit way before they engaged with/co-opted/were co-opted by the GOP. 
Let's bomb Russia!

Scipio

Quote from: Neil on November 02, 2011, 07:24:40 AM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 02, 2011, 01:41:06 AM
...the entire genealogy of modern history, which is essentially the history of protest.
That's an overstatement.

Besides, you're up to the same old nonsense that the anti-capitalist left has consistently engaged in:  No matter how small and irrelevant, any display of public discontent means that the revolution is coming.
Remember- communism is just over the horizon.  The horizon is the apparent boundary where earth and sky meet, which recedes at the rate that you approach it.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on November 02, 2011, 02:51:06 PM
Similarly, "corporate greed" and "irresponsible regulations" are issues now too; at least for the moment.

Those have been "issues" since the financial crisis.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 02, 2011, 05:48:28 PM
Quote from: Jacob on November 02, 2011, 02:51:06 PM
Similarly, "corporate greed" and "irresponsible regulations" are issues now too; at least for the moment.

Those have been "issues" since the financial crisis.

I saw an statistic, apparently from some place called Nexus that tracks such things, that said the use (in the media, US I presume) of the phrase "corporate greed" had grown by over 8000% since the Occupy Wall Street movement kicked off.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on November 02, 2011, 05:54:33 PM
I saw an statistic, apparently from some place called Nexus that tracks such things, that said the use (in the media, US I presume) of the phrase "corporate greed" had grown by over 8000% since the Occupy Wall Street movement kicked off.

8000% compared to when?  The day before the movement kicked off?

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 02, 2011, 05:57:52 PM8000% compared to when?  The day before the movement kicked off?

I'm guessing it was looking at longer periods... maybe a month or so?

crazy canuck

"corporate greed" is a meaningless catch phrase.  It is the best possible symbol for this protest.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 02, 2011, 06:01:32 PM
"corporate greed" is a meaningless catch phrase.  It is the best possible symbol for this protest.

Out of curiosity, how would the protesters have to comport themselves for you to think their actions meaningful and their message worthy of respect even if you disagreed with it?

BTW, we drank the bottle of wine you guys gave us at the housewarming party. Very tasty :cheers:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on November 02, 2011, 06:06:09 PM
Out of curiosity, how would the protesters have to comport themselves for you to think their actions meaningful and their message worthy of respect even if you disagreed with it?

BTW, we drank the bottle of wine you guys gave us at the housewarming party. Very tasty :cheers:

First they would have to have a message. 

Glad you liked the wine.

MadImmortalMan

It wasn't called champagne was it? Cause if it wasn't from France that would be wrong. Wrong wrong wrong.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

I read an editorial in the University of Iowa student newspaper arguing that Bank of America's decision to reverse itself on debit card fees was due to Occupyers.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 02, 2011, 06:14:48 PM
It wasn't called champagne was it? Cause if it wasn't from France that would be wrong. Wrong wrong wrong.

+1 :yes:

And not just anywhere in France.

fhdz

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 02, 2011, 06:01:32 PM
"corporate greed" is a meaningless catch phrase.

I'm not certain it's meaningless. You might for instance take a look at the notion of using bailout money for executive bonuses at a critical time in the economy and say "hmm, to my peepers, that looks a bit like corporate greed".
and the horse you rode in on