██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 02, 2011, 09:53:08 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 02, 2011, 03:19:34 PM
Bare floors. Fuck Carpets.

Even in the bedrooms?

Yes. I'm allergic to house dust, carpets are a bad idea.

I have a swiffer, a broom & a mastercraft shopvac. First 2 take too much time, 3rd seems to not pick up everything.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Rasputin

I just bought an oreck...it's a little pricey but comes with a lifetime warranty

the maid loves it which is worthwile; otherwise the whining can be much

I looked at the dyson but they draw 11.5 amps vs 2.5amps on the oreck

my master suite only has 1 breaker (ergo 15 amp max for the whole schmear) with the result that 11.5 amps could overwhelm the breaker and be a pain in the ass to reset

so i'd say go with the oreck if you have any large rooms with a lot of electronics

otherwise dyson or oreck based upon my research (ie my maid told me whats good, but shes in the biz)

Who is John Galt?

MadImmortalMan

I have an Oreck too. Wife picked it up. She's small and didn't want a heavy one. It sucks, err it works I mean.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

Quote from: Rasputin on October 03, 2011, 07:35:25 AM
I just bought an oreck...it's a little pricey but comes with a lifetime warranty

the maid loves it which is worthwile; otherwise the whining can be much

I looked at the dyson but they draw 11.5 amps vs 2.5amps on the oreck

my master suite only has 1 breaker (ergo 15 amp max for the whole schmear) with the result that 11.5 amps could overwhelm the breaker and be a pain in the ass to reset

so i'd say go with the oreck if you have any large rooms with a lot of electronics

otherwise dyson or oreck based upon my research (ie my maid told me whats good, but shes in the biz)
Yikes.  Circuit breakers popping has only ever been an issue for me in the first tenement we lived in as poor immigrants.

MadImmortalMan

Uh. Anything pulling eleven amps only needs four devices pulling one on the same breaker to trip it. A modern computer tower plus a decent sized monitor is almost enough to reach fifteen with a 11 amp vacuum right there. If there's a tv or something on it too, you're pretty much guaranteed to trip a normal residential breaker.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 03, 2011, 11:48:12 AM
Uh. Anything pulling eleven amps only needs four devices pulling one on the same breaker to trip it. A modern computer tower plus a decent sized monitor is almost enough to reach fifteen with a 11 amp vacuum right there. If there's a tv or something on it too, you're pretty much guaranteed to trip a normal residential breaker.
On the same circuit, sure.  Modern apartments have multiple circuits, and often 20 Amp rather than 15 Amp ones.

Grey Fox

Quote from: DGuller on October 03, 2011, 11:52:36 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 03, 2011, 11:48:12 AM
On the same circuit, sure.

Well thats what Raslionnaire said.

DGuller

I know that's what he said.  However, that implies that all of his outlets are on the same circuit, and a 15 amp circuit at that.  That sounds like an extremely outdated electrical system.

Grey Fox

15 amps is standard code. 20 amps requires an whole new grade of wires & recepticles.

In one room, that isn't your kitchen, having only 1 circuit isn't that weird.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on October 03, 2011, 12:00:32 PM
I know that's what he said.  However, that implies that all of his outlets are on the same circuit, and a 15 amp circuit at that.  That sounds like an extremely outdated electrical system.

Or just poorly wired.  There's lots of house like that Jeff City.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Rasputin

Quote from: DGuller on October 03, 2011, 12:00:32 PM

15 amps is standard for bedrooms

my master though includes a bath (with lots of lighting) a bigass flat screen, an hdmi splitter (because i was offended at the aesthetics of putting a sateelite box in my pool room where i have a flat screen cause no one wants to miss the ball game when they're shooting pool), a high intensity reading lamp for the desk, a computer, and the standard ceiling fan lighting combos one would expect in the master.

i suspect i draw 6 to 7 amps in the master which is fine, unless one plugs in a damned 11.5 amp sucking dyson ball or the vibrating stripper pole (6.9 amps).
Who is John Galt?

Jacob

Lucidor

I have an Electrolux and I like it. Get a modern vacuum with HEPA filter, if you have some allergies. Gets rid of more dust from the exhaust than Caliga's mother's vacuum.