News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obama, King of the Drones

Started by CountDeMoney, September 21, 2011, 06:10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 22, 2011, 12:57:24 PM
The college I teach at is going to offer a UAV course.

So sleep well at night. The drones are gonna be flown by Community College grads.

Considering they're being flown by high school grads now, having an Intro to Western Civ under their belt should provide more well-roundedness to the CAP circles.

AnchorClanker

Unarmed models, but not the armed ones.  You need an officer to have trigger authority.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Ed Anger

Maybe I can parley my AAS degree into some sweet, sweet trigger time.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 22, 2011, 07:42:12 PM

:lol:  Maybe.  I've heard Army warrants are flying some as well... for the same reasons that they are flying the choppers.
Have commissioned officer status, cheaper than LTs.   :lol:

I think the USAF allows NCOs to fly the unarmed versions, but if it's packin' a Hellfire, it's an officer's flight.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Ed Anger

Euro: I just watched a documentary on channel 3 and you Americans and your....what is that noise? *boom*
Ed the headless Thompson gunner: DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE! Where are the powerups?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 22, 2011, 07:09:08 PM
Considering they're being flown by high school grads now, having an Intro to Western Civ under their belt should provide more well-roundedness to the CAP circles.
Western Civ is only for the officers.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Tonitrus

Quote from: AnchorClanker on September 22, 2011, 07:45:56 PM

:lol:  Maybe.  I've heard Army warrants are flying some as well... for the same reasons that they are flying the choppers.

I think the USAF allows NCOs to fly the unarmed versions, but if it's packin' a Hellfire, it's an officer's flight.

As I understand it, the usual configuration is an officer pilot and enlisted sensor operator (thought about retraining into that job).

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

I thought the driver behind the Army putting warrants in their pilot's seats is that warrants don't have the pressure to move up the ranks, and thus out of the pilot's seat.  The Army was losing quite a few chopper pilots who joined Army Aviation primarily because they wanted to fly, and as soon as they were forced to rotate into a ground job they quit to go fly civvie choppers.

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 23, 2011, 06:37:41 PM

As I understand it, the usual configuration is an officer pilot and enlisted sensor operator (thought about retraining into that job).

Yes, for the USAF.  Not sure about the Army.

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on September 24, 2011, 01:29:49 PM

I thought the driver behind the Army putting warrants in their pilot's seats is that warrants don't have the pressure to move up the ranks, and thus out of the pilot's seat.  The Army was losing quite a few chopper pilots who joined Army Aviation primarily because they wanted to fly, and as soon as they were forced to rotate into a ground job they quit to go fly civvie choppers.

That's part of it, and it's also that WOs are cheaper than JOs. 

Neil

Killing civilians is the future of warfare.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Siege

I can't wait for robotic infantry.
I can be a 70 year old dude in front of cozy computer leading a robotic squad into a building by remote, killing moonslimbs by scores.
I can also have a cheap kamikaze robot walking into an enemy safehouse.

We brings up the point that suicide bombers and muslims in general are nothing more than biological drones.
Mechanical drones need a computer to receive orders, muslim drones only need a guy with an speaker at the local mosq.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Not only is that never going to happen (technology won't get there, it'll be too expesnsive, and you'll never be an officer), but also the Muslims will have won long before you get that old.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Siege

Quote from: Neil on September 25, 2011, 03:59:41 PM
Not only is that never going to happen (technology won't get there, it'll be too expesnsive, and you'll never be an officer), but also the Muslims will have won long before you get that old.

You failed to address my "biological drones" argument.
Disappointing.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

CountDeMoney

You're a biological drone.  With no semen.