News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Berlin info is needed

Started by Tamas, April 23, 2009, 04:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

I MAY end up spending a week in Berlin to learn work stuff. Well me and some other colleauges. Sometime in May.

Assuming I do get to go there, I would need tips on how to spend the afternoons and nights. What neighborhoods to go and avoid, etc. I am sure the local coworkers will be happy to help, but the project is about moving work from them to us, so perhaps they will not be totally full of goodwill. :P

garbon

www.berlinfo.com

Quote* berlinfo recommends: BERLIN HOTELS *
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

Berlin is pretty big area-wise. Do you know where you'll be? IBM (you work for them right?) have quite a few offices in Berlin apparently.

crazy canuck

Berlin has everything and then some.   What is it that you want to do?

HVC

They have no more walls. Got a little zealous during the late 80's and tore them all down
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

Actually part of the wall is still around.

I was in Berlin for 3 days a couple years ago. I stayed here:

http://www.hotel-adlon.de/en/home/index.htm It's probably beyond your means though. [Other guests at the hotel included Clinton and Queen Elizabeth.]

It's beyond my means, but I was a guest of the hotel  :P
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tamas

Quote from: Zanza2 on April 23, 2009, 04:24:10 PM
Berlin is pretty big area-wise. Do you know where you'll be? IBM (you work for them right?) have quite a few offices in Berlin apparently.

Really? Yeah I work for them, but have no more info yet.

I am afraid we will have very few time for tourism stuff durin the late afternoons. What is an absolute must to see?
I will update the thread when I have more info.

Tamas

Quote from: Josephus on April 23, 2009, 04:53:25 PM
Actually part of the wall is still around.

I was in Berlin for 3 days a couple years ago. I stayed here:

http://www.hotel-adlon.de/en/home/index.htm It's probably beyond your means though. [Other guests at the hotel included Clinton and Queen Elizabeth.]

It's beyond my means, but I was a guest of the hotel  :P

AFAIK hotel will be handled by the company.

Josephus

Quote from: Tamas on April 23, 2009, 04:55:49 PM

Tell them you want the Adlon or you'll quit.  ;)
It was really cool Had remote control for the window drapes.
Oh and a bathtub to die for. I don't normally have baths, but I couldn't help myself.
Oh, and I had use of a Benz to drive around in.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tamas

Quote from: Josephus on April 23, 2009, 05:03:10 PM
Quote from: Tamas on April 23, 2009, 04:55:49 PM

Oh, and I had use of a Benz to drive around in.

Sadly some time ago a douchebag on a company mission like this totalled the rented car the company gave him, since then we can only use taxis.
Altough I can't say I mind it in my case: I hate big city traffic.

Pat

If you are approached by a middle-eastern man as you very much drunkenly zig-zag from Kurfurstendamm to Zoologischer Garten, who wants you to buy drugs, then my advice is to say no thanks. He will only give you a ball of plastic and then say the police is coming and you need to put it in your mouth and then he will disappear. Then when you open the ball of plastic and find nothing else than more plastic, he will be long gone with your euros. This, uh, happened to a friend of mine.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zanza

Quote from: Tamas on April 23, 2009, 04:55:20 PMI am afraid we will have very few time for tourism stuff durin the late afternoons. What is an absolute must to see?
As you are interested in history, walk from Reichstag to Soviet Memorial to Brandenburg Gate to Holocaust Memorial to Potsdamer Platz to Topographie des Terrors in Niederkirchner Straße to Checkpoint Charlie.

Google Maps

Iormlund

Watch out for Panzerfausts and Tiergarten 88s'!

citizen k

If you want to see museums, Museumsinsel is pretty cool. Pergamon museum has replica of Ishtar Gate.