News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Il Canzoniere!

Started by Lettow77, September 16, 2011, 11:34:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

I dunno, most of these poems look like they were whipped up in a minute or two.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Poetry was always Ed's achilles heel in English classes.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Lettow77

I'll go ahead and respond to the troll Wiggin- why don't you make a sonnet your own self?  a minute or two, indeed.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Eddie Teach

I composed enough doggerel in high school, don't feel the need to do so anymore.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Who cares about your feelings?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

So Lettuce, what do you plan on doing with your life once you graduate from college?  Professional defecation poet? :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Lettow77

It's all very murky. Life doesn't have any of the assured structure it used to. Law/professor/state dept?/teach english on the moon.

One of these. At the time, I was proud of the defecation poem. Perhaps it was too obscene- I won't venture into such territory again.

Caliga

I think you would probably be a good social studies teacher.  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

I actually, enjoy poetry.  Good Poetry.  Sorry, Lettow but you seem to be channeling McGonagall.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I was thinking that Romantic Poetry would be the best fit for a Southern Nationalist, but I honestly can't think of a great Southern Romantic.  The great American Romantics are Northerners.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

FunkMonk

Please be a teacher. Please.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Lettow77

I had to look up McGonagall- whose poetry is uh, something.

For Southern Nationalists, the go-to figures to admire and emulate would assuredly be Timrod or Ryan.

I resist the claim that my sonnets are horrible though-  I may be pretty weak in metaphor, but I don't attempt it, for this reason. Things scan just fine- I see to that much. I take your claim more seriously than others because it is evident they have no appreciation for sonnets in the first place. I happen to think my sonnets are just fine, and getting better. I do recognize that some are better than others.

If languish is so ill-disposed to it, however, I will continue publishing my poems privately, until such time as all 366 are done. It was the original intent to ensure the book of poems could be given to its recipient and have the poems found nowhere else, so it is a logical course in any event. I just thought someone should enjoy it- after the effort that goes into construction, there is a desire to share it.

I regret posting in this thread without a sonnet to show, but i've come down with the megrims, and have not been able to produce anything after several days of rather busy schoolwork and a pervasive malaise only interrupted briefly by the shining light of ponies. The Dashing Young Prince languishes in Ohio, and I am sleeping more than is normal while getting not much beyond academic assignment accomplished.

Edit: On a matter less relating to languish's reaction but more my own output, I regret I cannot be relied upon to make one a day. It is hard to predict how humours will take me, and I need more discipline. I am plagued by notions as to the point of the project, despair at its length, & etc. Still, I wish rather greatly to get it done, so I will continue to do my best, even if the deadline for its release is continuously deferred.

The Brain

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day (non-rhetorical)?

Lettow77

The Brain