News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Do You Have A Plan B, If All Else Fails ?

Started by mongers, August 28, 2011, 07:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Jacob

I don't think I've ever had much of a plan A even.

Josquius

Quote from: derspiess on August 29, 2011, 09:16:55 PM
We own land in Argentina.  I s'pose we could pull up stakes, move down there & build our llama empire.  Or do the boring but more lucrative thing & grow soybeans.

Or a Hitler themed amusement park. :w00t:
██████
██████
██████

Mr.Penguin

I have been living my plan B the last 12 years, it has worked fine so far...
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Tonitrus

Plan A:  Work until retirement pension become available.

Plan B/C (preferably taken after success of Plan A): Teach english overseas(prefer Japan), ala Timmah and the others, or try to get a job in a National Park somewhere.

The potential flaw in Plan B:  Single, mid-40ish (at time of retirement) wannabe overseas English teachers probably rank high on the "creepy" factor for potential employers.

And heck, in 13 years, Japan will probably have translating sexbots anyway.

Martinus

Quote from: mongers on August 29, 2011, 12:57:04 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on August 29, 2011, 02:00:55 AM
Maybe a bit off-kilter, but I really have had suicide ready as Plan B for at least 5 years.  Or even as Plan A at certain moments.  But what other card do you need with that in your deck?

:hug:

Which is why I advocate people having a serious plan B, I've know of people who've been motoring along fine on plan A, doing all that society expect of them, suddenly several serious things happen that demolish plan A and they've no plan B, can't cope and so go straight to what I call plan C - suicide.

I think some of these tragic husband loses job/house and/or marriage/kid access and then commits murder-suicide news stories may have some origination in people not being prepared if unexpectedly the 2.2 children happily ever after/'the American Dream' suddenly goes tits up. 

And that's why I think everyone should always have a 'escape strategy', a realistic Plan B ready if the unexpected happens.

I can see this working for the job/house thing, but I don't think many people plan in terms of "Plan B: What will I do when my wife leaves me or my kids die." Unless they are psychopaths.

Are you a psychopath, mongers?

jimmy olsen

I noticed today that one of the guys in my class had ring fingers that were longer then his middle fingers.

I thought about asking if he was a psycopath, I decided not to for obvious reasons.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

My plan of last resort is to move to the family land my ancestors stole in Oklahoma and take up grain and soy bean farming.  God I hope it never comes to that but it is nice to know I can whenever I want to as none of my cousins are likely to take that option.

Of course there is the issue I know nothing about farming.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Taking up farming isn't much of a Plan "B".  Very capital intensive.  You can make a great living at it, but it's just not something you can fall back to.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

C.C.R.

Quote from: Martinus on August 30, 2011, 02:53:23 AM
I can see this working for the job/house thing, but I don't think many people plan in terms of "Plan B: What will I do when my wife leaves me or my kids die."

That's actually my Plan C -- my Plan B is dealing with The Zombie Apocalypse, which is a much more likely scenario...

:P

Ed Anger

I've been thinking of using the land In Harlan county and building a Felsennest, a festung if society goes to shit.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Barrister on September 01, 2011, 10:24:11 AM
Taking up farming isn't much of a Plan "B".  Very capital intensive.  You can make a great living at it, but it's just not something you can fall back to.

I know a lot of farmers, but none of them make a great living at it. Most of them make barely enough to cover the finance costs on all that expensive shit they have to buy. Of course our whole agricultural sector is one big clusterfuck.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Malthus

Perhaps his plan is to be a sort of reverse Oakie, and labour in the fields for others. That's doable.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Yeah the farm has been a running enterprise for over 100 years.  I would just need to move there and take over management of it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."