TV Adverts and How Does Advertising Influence You ?

Started by mongers, August 27, 2011, 08:02:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Norgy

Quote from: mongers on August 27, 2011, 08:02:03 AM
Just heard on a BBC podcast an advertising expert say we now watch 47 tv adverts a day, compared with 33 in 2002. And that's discounting ads people fast-forward/jump using tivo/pvrs :gasp:

So how many adverts do you watch a day ?

How much advertising material do you 'consume' and to watch extent do you thing it affects you behaviour ?

I have no real idea of how many, but where it works its wonders is in the constant reminder that this or that exists. Tonight you can see "Mad Men" or you can see monkeys have sex, your choice.

And at some point you start looking for that one brand of dishwasher.

Having worked in the bidnis for a few years, my verdict is this: Advertising works. But not necessarily how we intended.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Slargos

any belief that advertizing doesn't affect you is naive to the point of stupidity.

that said, I really have no idea to what extent. I don't watch TV.

MadImmortalMan

Irritating advertising that uses the cliche formulas (shouting car dealers, over-emotive female presenters), makes me respond in an adverse way. even if the product is a good one. I like the creative ones. I want to strangle the QuiBids bitch.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 27, 2011, 07:01:08 PM
Irritating advertising that uses the cliche formulas (shouting car dealers, over-emotive female presenters), makes me respond in an adverse way. even if the product is a good one. I like the creative ones. I want to strangle the QuiBids bitch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sZuN0xXWLc

I'd buy from these guys.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

I think people misinterpret what it means to be influenced by advertising. Most advertising is not really meant to get you to buy a product you do not otherwise need/want but rather to raise the brand awareness so next time you think about buying a specific product you go for the advertiser's brand and not that of a competitor. In that sense I believe I am fairly often swayed by advertising.

Norgy

Quote from: Martinus on August 28, 2011, 03:44:57 AM
I think people misinterpret what it means to be influenced by advertising. Most advertising is not really meant to get you to buy a product you do not otherwise need/want but rather to raise the brand awareness so next time you think about buying a specific product you go for the advertiser's brand and not that of a competitor. In that sense I believe I am fairly often swayed by advertising.

That's it, yes.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on August 28, 2011, 03:44:57 AM

Really?!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Really. I dont research stuff like washing machine powders or cleaning fluids - I just buy the name that sounds familiar for example.

Admiral Yi

Marty's post made me wonder: is the US the only country in the world with late night infomercials for rutebega peelers and solar powered egg poachers?

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 28, 2011, 04:10:56 PM
Marty's post made me wonder: is the US the only country in the world with late night infomercials for rutebega peelers and solar powered egg poachers?

No, iirc there a several digital channels with this sort of set up too, but since I've migrated to catch-up / web based tv content I don't see them or any adverts.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 28, 2011, 04:10:56 PM

They are here but at least to my generation they have been largely discredited, mainly by being tacky and also by being scammy back in the 90s. But I suppose people still buy shit from them.

BuddhaRhubarb

sometimes they annoy me, often I tune them out, or channel surf. once in a blue moon an ad will amuse me.
:p