TV Adverts and How Does Advertising Influence You ?

Started by mongers, August 27, 2011, 08:02:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Just heard on a BBC podcast an advertising expert say we now watch 47 tv adverts a day, compared with 33 in 2002. And that's discounting ads people fast-forward/jump using tivo/pvrs :gasp:

So how many adverts do you watch a day ?

How much advertising material do you 'consume' and to watch extent do you thing it affects you behaviour ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Richard Hakluyt

Well I only watch DVDs and BBC4, so I don't get to see any adverts apart from those anti-piracy ones. I'm not a pirate so maybe they are working  :D

In print I get the Spectator and The Economist delivered. I can't even remember what the Speccie advertises. In The Economist there are adverts from posh watch companies, large banks, oil companies and IT.......can't say I respond to them, don't even have a watch.

To get my attention a firm would need a good internet presence. So, I might google "strong decent quality sofas", getting your firm top of the results would probably be good news for a sofa retailer.

Iormlund

Ed Anger

I like the Allstate Mayhem ads. Still haven't switched insurance to Allstate.

Also, the Opulence, I haz it guy.
<---------
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

I rarely ever watch TV.  Most ads I see are on the Internet and I'm not interested in "One weird trick to make you lose weight".  I don't go in for those one trick ponies.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

I don't think I watched much tv at all in 2002. Maybe Friends and Frasier and whatever show came in between.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 27, 2011, 08:19:40 AM
<---------

I like Mr. Cambodian drug lord, I'm So Little Why They Call Me The Whale.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 27, 2011, 12:34:10 PM
<---------

The Russian has much hotter floozies.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 27, 2011, 12:39:16 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 27, 2011, 12:34:10 PM
<---------

The Russian has much hotter floozies.

And a tiny giraffe.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

To answer the question, the one time time in my life I purchased something in response to an ad was when I set up an etrade account.  I really liked the original baby ads.  Except the golf one, which seemed mean and out of character.

Eddie Teach

I'll sometimes try those specialty meals fast food places are rolling out all the time.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

I've no idea but of course it plays some role in purchasing decisions.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Food ads often make me hungry, but it's not that often that I actually buy the specific item advertised, or even from the specific vendor, although I may keep it in mind.  It may have been more effective back when I ate things that actually get advertised.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017