News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Has anyone been to Easter Island?

Started by alfred russel, August 18, 2011, 06:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

I'm going to be spending some time in Santiago (one of the few places they have direct flights from), and was wondering if a weekend is enough time for a visit (fly in Friday, out Sunday).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

PDH

I was there for 5 days back in 1987.  If you have access to a driver (we had to walk) then you should be able to see most everything and not be too put out. 

Go see the palm trees at the Moai! (we were anchored there).
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

jimmy olsen

I think some Polynesians might have made it to the islands. :hmm:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

Quote from: PDH on August 18, 2011, 08:19:06 PM
I was there for 5 days back in 1987.  If you have access to a driver (we had to walk) then you should be able to see most everything and not be too put out. 

Go see the palm trees at the Moai! (we were anchored there).

Thanks--I may try this. Even though I'll only have one full day (I'd arrive at 1 PM on Friday, and leave at 1 PM on Sunday). It isn't the ideal way I'd like to visit the island, but then realistically I probably won't visit any other way.

So you sailed in? What kind of trip were you on to do that?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

alfred russel

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on August 18, 2011, 08:31:57 PM
Take pics please :)

I will, but have no idea how to post them, so don't expect to see much.  :P

Tim--thanks for the tip. You must be back from vacation? I haven't noticed many news articles posted lately.

Zanza

I heard from people who've been there that it is quite interesting at first, but after you have seen a couple of the big stone heads, it gets boring very quick because there is nothing else to do on the island. One day should be perfect.

PDH

Old story. I was part of the crew on a 62' ketch that sailed from San Francisco, down the Mexican coast, to the Galapagos, Easter Island, the Marquesas, Hawaii, then back to San Francisco.

Fun time for 21 year old.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

derspiess

No, but my kid thinks he sees the stone heads every time we go downtown.

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ideologue

I was there before the economy collapsed.

It was all right, but the place was a mess, with unfinished, unnecessary public works projects everywhere.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DGuller

There is no such thing as an unnecessary public works project.

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on August 19, 2011, 12:33:46 PM
It was all right, but the place was a mess, with unfinished, unnecessary public works projects everywhere.

But enough about Ohio...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on August 19, 2011, 12:42:58 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 19, 2011, 12:33:46 PM

But enough about Ohio...

Orange barrel season hasn't been too bad this year. Malfunction Junction (I-75 and I-70 interchange) is a total clusterfuck. I think it was less dangerous before they fucked with everything.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Pretty cool statue.

I think we ought to build more huge statues.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)