New fighter jet to bolster Russian air force, and India

Started by KRonn, August 17, 2011, 12:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on August 18, 2011, 11:43:05 AM
Fritz-X was a bomb, not a rocket. A missile is anything that is thrown or launched. The Fritz-X was propelled by the Dornier's engines that launched it.
In military terms (which we are using here) an unpowered bomb is not a missile, as your preferred source (Wikipedia) even notes:
QuoteThe designation of the Walleye as an "air-to-ground missile" is a misnomer, as it is an unpowered bomb with guide avionics, similar to the more modern GBU-15. The Walleye was superseded by the AGM-65 Maverick.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AGM-62_Walleye

But, in any case, my point about dreadnoughts and frag/blast warheads still stands.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Iormlund

Yeah, it's hard for missiles to find dreadnoughts before subs sink them.

Razgovory

Quote from: Iormlund on August 18, 2011, 04:46:17 PM

The biggest problem is that missiles and bombs don't really exist in the same time period as dreadnoughts.  It's like saying that there never has been a case where a torpedo sank a Viking Longboat.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

citizen k

Quote from: Razgovory on August 18, 2011, 04:57:24 PM

The biggest problem is that missiles and bombs don't really exist in the same time period as dreadnoughts.  It's like saying that there never has been a case where a torpedo sank a Viking Longboat.

The ASW package on Viking longships was ahead of its time.

Neil

A submarine wouldn't stand a chance against a fully-armed and operational dreadnought.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: citizen k on August 18, 2011, 04:59:55 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 18, 2011, 04:57:24 PM

The ASW package on Viking longships was ahead of its time.

Our magnetic detonators are useless against the Viking menace. :(
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on August 18, 2011, 05:00:19 PM
A submarine wouldn't stand a chance against a fully-armed and operational dreadnought.

:unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Iormlund

Razgovory

Looks like it would break in half if it went to sea.  Did you take this from some Alt-history website?

Neil

Quote from: Iormlund on August 18, 2011, 06:50:34 PM
Is that a diesel sub with a BB battery there? :lol:
It looks to me like a USN 8" triple mount, which would be mounted on a heavy cruiser.  It's possible that the battleship is using it as a sidecar for some reason.