Canada to firmly re-assess its status as a British colony

Started by viper37, August 15, 2011, 08:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on August 18, 2011, 01:59:59 PM
Quote from: viper37 on August 18, 2011, 01:37:58 PM
Quote from: HVC on August 18, 2011, 11:09:19 AM
Until then we felt left out for not being invited the revolutionary fun a few decades before :(
You probably felt no different than you felt when being Virginian colonists, South Carolian colonists or Massachussets colonists.

Damn HVC how many colonies were you a part of?

:D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on August 18, 2011, 01:59:59 PM
Quote from: viper37 on August 18, 2011, 01:37:58 PM
Quote from: HVC on August 18, 2011, 11:09:19 AM
Until then we felt left out for not being invited the revolutionary fun a few decades before :(
You probably felt no different than you felt when being Virginian colonists, South Carolian colonists or Massachussets colonists.

Damn HVC how many colonies were you a part of?
my ancestors were sluts who travelled a lot :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on August 18, 2011, 02:06:29 PM
my ancestors were sluts who travelled a lot :D
silly english language and no differenciation of the pronouns... ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on August 18, 2011, 01:43:01 PM
That's teh thing. She's not the british queen. She's our queen.
She is the British Queen, who happens to be the Queen of Canada by right of Conquest and
ethnic cleansing of the previous inhabitants.  Hereditary title, of course.  Doesn't change the historical facts.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Neil

Quote from: viper37 on August 18, 2011, 03:08:30 PM
She is the British Queen, who happens to be the Queen of Canada by right of Conquest and
ethnic cleansing of the previous inhabitants.  Hereditary title, of course.  Doesn't change the historical facts.
And by consent of the population.  And by law.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Palisadoes

"Previous inhabitants" being the First Nations? So what are you, as a Quebecer, complaining about? By your own "logic" you shouldn't be there either.

Barrister

:wacko:

WTF are you talking about?

You are aware, of course, that the current ruling dynasty rule in the UK (and Canada) because the English Parliament invited them to be their monarchs by passing the Act of Settlement?  They didn't conquer anything.

And you are also aware that numerous Commonwealth countries have become Republics by democratic means, and the Queen has done nothing but wish them well?

And ethnic cleansing?  What the hell are you talking about?  You can't be talking about natives, as they're still here.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Sounds exactly like every other Citizen of Canada.  And the United States.  Heck it is even a hereditary title :P

Well ok except the Native Americans.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on August 18, 2011, 03:17:02 PM
And ethnic cleansing?  What the hell are you talking about?  You can't be talking about natives, as they're still here.

Didn't you move them out of the way like we did?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on August 18, 2011, 03:18:40 PM

Didn't you move them out of the way like we did?

No.

We signed treaties (which the natives are still very keen on us following, BTW) where they agreed to move into reserations that were already on their traditional land.  The whole forced migration of entire tribes is a very American phenomenon.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on August 18, 2011, 03:22:51 PM
No.

We signed treaties (which the natives are still very keen on us following, BTW) where they agreed to move into reserations that were already on their traditional land.  The whole forced migration of entire tribes is a very American phenomenon.

Maybe he is blaming the monarchy for the dastardly deeds we did while still British colonists? :hmm:

I have a hard time believing the Natives were not at least a little intimidated into signing those treaties.  Especially with great guys like Amherst in charge.

viper37

You are aware, of course, that the current ruling dynasty rule in the UK (and Canada) because the English Parliament invited them to be their monarchs by passing the Act of Settlement?  They didn't conquer anything.
If I conquer a country, deport the people there who could oppose me, put my own people in place, make sure the colony is administered by people I choose, is it a wonder that they choose to remain loyal to my crown?

First, there was the Acadians
Then, the small pox infected blankets given to indians, to get rid of them.  It was an official strategy by Amherst.
And the various deportation, attempted or successful of Indians and Métis, as well as the execution of Louis Riel to send a message that resistance was futile.

I'm not even talking about the forced assimilation of the French people outside of Quebec (mainly in Manitoba, and Ontario) following the Confederation, as these were technically crimes by the Canadians, not the British, even though we were a colony at the time.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on August 18, 2011, 03:24:14 PM
I have a hard time believing the Natives were not at least a little intimidated into signing those treaties.  Especially with great guys like Amherst in charge.

BB is oversimplifying a bit but in general he is correct.  In the West there were few treaties signed and we are paying for that now.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on August 18, 2011, 03:29:56 PM
Then, the small pox infected blankets given to indians, to get rid of them.  It was an official strategy by Amherst.

It was a little too late.  Small Pox had already decimated the Native Tribes because of the Seven Years War and the only suggestion this was ever tried happened before Amherst's infamous letter.  Besides even if this was an Amherst strategy it will please you to know it backfired badly since the American colonists were decimated by the worst outbreak of Smallpox in our history right around that time.  Something like 125,000 of us evil whitey Imperialists went down.

Amherst still sucks though.

Viking

meh... if Civilized nations didn't conquer and destroy the Barbarous then world would consist almost exclusively of the Barbarous. Furthermore I will assert that none of the "First Nations" of Canada were the first nation to occupy the land and the many generations of previous civilizations occupying each land had been genocided by the present "first nation" (scare quotes this time). To dip into the fetid pool of post-modernism, I consider it a grossly hegemonic imposition of Eurocentricims to treat the American Indians as innocent naïfs without worldlyness nor an ability to take responsability for their actions. No culture ethnically cleansed by "Imperialist Anglo-Canadians"!!!!1111oneoneoen didn't ethnically cleanse and/or assimilate a previous one.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.