Spanish soccer pro quits sports in criticism of capitalism

Started by Syt, August 12, 2011, 07:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: Barrister on August 12, 2011, 12:43:44 PM
I'm a lawyer.  I am frequently the lone voice in the wilderness in court.

The crown still won't budget for a building, eh?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Slargos

Quote from: Slargos on August 12, 2011, 12:36:09 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on August 12, 2011, 12:31:03 PM
:hmm:

Tell me: When was the last time you disagreed with someone over something that could actually cost you anything?

There's no real risk to you in joining the mob since I'm an acceptable target. Would you even dare voicing an unpopular opinion?

I wasn't asking you.  ;)

Barrister

Quote from: Habbaku on August 12, 2011, 12:46:33 PM

The crown still won't budget for a building, eh?

:D
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Slargos

Quote from: Habbaku on August 12, 2011, 12:43:30 PM
More seriously, though, I do applaud Slargos for consistently challenging the majority.  Without him, who would stand out as the voice for racism, zero-sum economic beliefs and the benefits of low-quality kitchenware

I eagerly await his challenging the validity of gravity.

:lol:

Cute.
At least Raz has a bit of imagination. You're a shit tzu who thinks he's a bulldog. :console:

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on August 12, 2011, 11:00:10 AM
Quote from: Slargos on August 12, 2011, 07:35:31 AM
I can certainly sympathise with his thoughts. No matter how you want to spin it, the economy IS a zero-sum game, and for one person to make the kind of lol-wages the pro footballers make, thousands of others have to make up for it.

Uhhh, yeah....the problem is that the economy is not a zero-sum game, no matter how you want to spin it.

You need some basic econ 101. Start with the concept of specialization.
Slargos is, of course, clueless.  That said, I have a feeling that economy is not as non-zero-sum as we're lead to believe in Econ 101.  Ultimately, material resources are limited, even if we haven't yet run into that problem, and so are positional goods by definition. 

The common assumption is that our economy can grow expontentially indefinitely.  However, it may be that economy grows according to a logistic model rather than exponential, and that after some period of near-exponential growth we will hit a constraint and grow only very slowly.  If we ever hit a constraint, then a lot of the assumptions on which our economic theory stands will go out the window.

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on August 12, 2011, 12:53:46 PM
I can certainly sympathise with his thoughts. No matter how you want to spin it, the economy IS a zero-sum game, and for one person to make the kind of lol-wages the pro footballers make, thousands of others have to make up for it.

Uhhh, yeah....the problem is that the economy is not a zero-sum game, no matter how you want to spin it.

Slargos is, of course, clueless.  That said, I have a feeling that economy is not as non-zero-sum as we're lead to believe in Econ 101.  Ultimately, material resources are limited, even if we haven't yet run into that problem, and so are positional goods by definition. 

The common assumption is that our economy can grow expontentially indefinitely.  However, it may be that economy grows according to a logistic model rather than exponential, and that after some period of near-exponential growth we will hit a constraint and grow only very slowly.  If we ever hit a constraint, then a lot of the assumptions on which our economic theory stands will go out the window.

That's okay-- we'll always have Democrats here to keep our economy from reaching its potential :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Slargos

Zero sum doesn't necessitate constant sum.

Barrister

Yes, the Limits to Growth argument.

So far almost 40 years of evidence have shown it to be false, but you know, maybe the next 40 will prove it right.

:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Limits_to_Growth

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on August 12, 2011, 01:01:30 PM

So far almost 40 years of evidence have shown it to be false, but you know, maybe the next 40 will prove it right.

I haven't died yet in my life, therefore I won't die in the future.  :rolleyes:

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on August 12, 2011, 01:05:25 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 12, 2011, 01:01:30 PM

:rolleyes:

There is plenty of evidence to indicate that you will die.

That there is a hard cap to economic growth however...

Razgovory

So eventually we'll all have infinite wealth?  Cool.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on August 12, 2011, 01:05:25 PM

That's a more compelling argument when put forth by grumbler.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on August 12, 2011, 01:07:33 PM
:rolleyes:

There is plenty of evidence to indicate that you will die.

That there is a hard cap to economic growth however...
Well, some mathematical understanding would indiciate that indefinite exponential growth is a bit impossible for any physical phenomena.  If material wealth grew exponentially without a limit, then eventually each person would own entire galaxies.  That seems unlikely, since it would be impractical to manage all these properties when you can only travel at the speed of light.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on August 12, 2011, 01:08:07 PM
So eventually we'll all have infinite wealth?  Cool.

Of course.  Someday each of us will have our own staff of slave robots who do all of our work.

And our own planet.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."