News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

GOP debate

Started by MadImmortalMan, August 11, 2011, 08:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Santorum argues against the tenth amendment so he can ban gay marriage.  :rolleyes:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

Quote from: Grallon on August 11, 2011, 08:50:53 PM
I've said it before - I'll repeat it again:  The US will crumble under the weight of its own internal contradictions.  And that schizophrenic fixation about taxation (and state power behind it) among the American Populus is one of the most glaring of those contradictions; in fact I'd wager it's what will drive their republic under.  Mark my word.
Are you under the impression that this is some kind of great insight?

"Eventually, a political unit will cease to exist because of internal factors!"

Well hol-ee shit, professor.  That is in-fucking-credible.

Are any of our America posters under the impression that the US is some sort of perpetual state?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: DGuller on August 11, 2011, 08:57:44 PM
Quote from: Viking on August 11, 2011, 08:43:44 PM
Moderator: When you were governor you raised taxes and balanced your budget, doesn't this mean that raising taxes might be used to balance the budget?
Pawlenty/Romney: No

idiots..... reality doesn't seem to impact either of those idiots
Today's GOP ideology should be viewed as religion, and the kind of religion invented by a crazed lunatic.
You're just as bad.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Neil on August 11, 2011, 09:01:42 PM
I've said it before - I'll repeat it again:  The US will crumble under the weight of its own internal contradictions.  And that schizophrenic fixation about taxation (and state power behind it) among the American Populus is one of the most glaring of those contradictions; in fact I'd wager it's what will drive their republic under.  Mark my word.
Are you under the impression that this is some kind of great insight?

"Eventually, a political unit will cease to exist because of internal factors!"

Well hol-ee shit, professor.  That is in-fucking-credible.

Are any of our America posters under the impression that the US is some sort of perpetual state?

Tim, maybe
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

I marked your word when we were "in the throes of a theocracy" during the Bush years.  Still waiting for that.

Anyway, a few years ago people said the national divide on abortion was what would tear our country apart.  We've lived with regional & philosophical differences since before we were an independent country.  I think we'll survive this.

So stop being a goddamned drama queen.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on August 11, 2011, 09:04:26 PM

I marked your word when we were "in the throes of a theocracy" during the Bush years.  Still waiting for that.

Anyway, a few years ago people said the national divide on abortion was what would tear our country apart.  We've lived with regional & philosophical differences since before we were an independent country.  I think we'll survive this.

So stop being a goddamned drama queen.

Well, Quebec will certainly benefit.  After the Republic falls and the Empire is established the US will govern Quebec correctly.  Perhaps in a few centuries it can rise as high as say, Louisiana.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

Quote from: Razgovory on August 11, 2011, 09:08:21 PM
Well, Quebec will certainly benefit.  After the Republic falls and the Empire is established the US will govern Quebec correctly.  Perhaps in a few centuries it can rise as high as say, Louisiana.

:D
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

DGuller

Quote from: Neil on August 11, 2011, 09:02:17 PM
You're just as bad.
No, I'm not.  Just because I'm annoyed by idiots to the point of using very sharp language does not mean that I'm an equivalent idiot.  It just means that I've just had it.

derspiess

Moderator: When you were governor you raised taxes and balanced your budget, doesn't this mean that raising taxes might be used to balance the budget?

Today's GOP ideology should be viewed as religion, and the kind of religion invented by a crazed lunatic.

We don't need to raise taxes to balance the budget.  We probably would need to do that in order to pay down the debt once the budget is balanced.

Now I wouldn't be totally against what some Dems have suggested and reducing loopholes/deductions and lowering the corporate tax rate a bit as a means of increasing revenue.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grallon

:lol:

Yes , yes they are - the pinnacle of human civilization and all that.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Razgovory

Quote from: Grallon on August 11, 2011, 09:18:00 PM

:lol:

Yes , yes they are - the pinnacle of human civilization and all that.

G.

This from a native French speaker? :lol:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on August 11, 2011, 09:14:55 PM

We don't need to raise taxes to balance the budget.  We probably would need to do that in order to pay down the debt once the budget is balanced.

Now I wouldn't be totally against what some Dems have suggested and reducing loopholes/deductions and lowering the corporate tax rate a bit as a means of increasing revenue.

I suppose if you don't want an army anymore, sure I guess.

Grallon

"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

DGuller

We don't need to raise taxes to balance the budget.
Sure we don't.  Our current levels have worked like a charm keeping the budget balanced.  Oh, yeah, I forgot, if it wasn't for all that out of control spending.  :rolleyes:

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on August 11, 2011, 09:19:32 PM

I suppose if you don't want an army anymore, sure I guess.

That's taking it a bit far, but we could stand to reduce defense spending.