News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Norway runs out of Oil

Started by Slargos, August 08, 2011, 05:42:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

- Insert standard comment on how the stone age didn't end because we ran out of stone and that we are not runnning out of oil and that all the peak oil idiots are wrong.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Viking

Quote from: The Brain on August 08, 2011, 06:07:47 AM
You ran out of stone?

yepp, not a single piece of igneous rock in my flat.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on August 08, 2011, 05:56:10 AM
- Insert standard comment on how the stone age didn't end because we ran out of stone and that we are not runnning out of oil and that all the peak oil idiots are wrong.

Bronze age may have ended when they ran low on tin.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Google Translated that article pretty well.  I'm impressed.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on August 08, 2011, 06:22:15 AM
Quote from: Viking on August 08, 2011, 05:56:10 AM

Bronze age may have ended when they ran low on tin.

I'm pretty sure that Sea Peoples et.al. armed with iron swords which could cut through bronze blades along with a big icelandic volcano ended the Bronze Age. Tin was hard to get, but far from running out.

OttoVonBismarck

Proven reserves have actually still been increasing despite our usage, additionally as oil price goes up sulfur-infested oil, deep sea oil, and other sources that are less economically tempting become worthwhile. So yeah, Peak Oil is and always has been stupidity.

We genuinely have at least 100 years of Oil left and global energy usage growth rate actually is not steadily rising, it has stalled for long periods of time recently and I believe even gone down slightly during the recession. With large pushes towards renewable energy (and potentially nuclear if we can ignore minor irrelevancies like the Japan incident) I genuinely don't believe we'll ever have a problem of running out of oil as a fuel.

The last things to run on petroleum fuel will be planes and ships and there are alternatives for those as well.

alfred russel

The hunting wooly mammoth phase ended when the wooly mammoths died off. The chopping down trees phase on easter island ended when the trees got chopped down.  :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Pretty sure?  That's impressive.  Nobody is "pretty sure" on exactly what caused the Bronze age collapse.  It should be noted nobody knows who the "Sea Peoples" were, why they attacked Egypt, or how exactly they were equipped, though in they likely had bronze as iron smelting did not become common in the eastern Mediterranean until after the Bronze age collapse.  Iron weapons didn't cut through bronze ones.  Bronze armor was still used long after Iron weapons became common.  In fact bronze weapons and armor were probably better compared to the early brittle iron weapons, and it was lighter.  The big factor in the adoption of iron was that it was much cheaper.

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on August 08, 2011, 06:59:58 AM
Pretty sure?  That's impressive.  Nobody is "pretty sure" on exactly what caused the Bronze age collapse.  It should be noted nobody knows who the "Sea Peoples" were, why they attacked Egypt, or how exactly they were equipped, though in they likely had bronze as iron smelting did not become common in the eastern Mediterranean until after the Bronze age collapse.  Iron weapons didn't cut through bronze ones.  Bronze armor was still used long after Iron weapons became common.  In fact bronze weapons and armor were probably better compared to the early brittle iron weapons, and it was lighter.  The big factor in the adoption of iron was that it was much cheaper.

For me "pretty sure" is the highest level of unsubstantiated opinion.