News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Kerbal Space Program

Started by Ed Anger, July 14, 2011, 08:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fireblade

Orbiting Kerbin is pretty easy. Launch, go straight up until you get to 10k altitude, and then start going right. Slowly lower your rocket until you start reaching 100k. When you're at your desired height, shut down your engines, turn your shit all the way around, and fire your engines until your orbit is more or less circular. Then you're in a pretty good position to start going places. :)

You can also cheat by using MechJeb, but even with that it's still hard to (successfully) land on places. I think I have 10 Kerbals on the Mun because I keep fucking up the rescue missions.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Fireblade on November 23, 2013, 01:49:58 PM
I think I have 10 Kerbals on the Mun because I keep fucking up the rescue missions.

:lol: What, you're stranding all the rescuers, too?

frunk

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 23, 2013, 01:53:49 PM
I think I have 10 Kerbals on the Mun because I keep fucking up the rescue missions.

Tipping over the lander is the biggest danger I've found.  In fact I've been sticking with robotic landings on the Mun until I get better at them.  I've already got one Kerbal stuck in permanent orbit.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Fireblade

Well goddamn, nigger, I can at least LAND on the Mun, I didn't say I've figured out how to get all my lil' green niggas back yet.

Fireblade

It also doesn't help that my kid loses his shit whenever I play KSP. I mean, dude, I know you're 3 now and really into spaceships, but daddy is doing something really important and there's almost a dozen little green lives at stake. You're not helping daddy when you flip out and mash the keyboard when I'm 10 meters away from the surface.

MadBurgerMaker

A tradition of the Kerbal Space Program.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on November 24, 2013, 01:16:12 AM
A tradition of the Kerbal Space Program.

I thought that tradition was having the rescue ships explode on the launchpad.
Experience bij!

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 27, 2013, 08:43:35 PM
I thought that tradition was having the rescue ships explode on the launchpad.

That too.  Or making it off the launchpad to explode somewhere else.  Rapid unplanned disassembly.  While Jeb laughs.

Rex Francorum

Did not figure yet to go on the moon... Usually it ends by sending my Kerbs around the sun.  :cry:
To rent

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Rex Francorum on December 07, 2013, 03:39:01 AM
Did not figure yet to go on the moon... Usually it ends by sending my Kerbs around the sun.  :cry:

of the San Francisco to get some whales?

grumbler

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on December 07, 2013, 09:01:49 AM

of the San Francisco to get some whales?
Or of the Jupiter to turn into Space Baby.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

frunk

Make sure you use map mode, and burn retrograde when (or 5-10 secs before) you reach perapsis of the moon.

In layman's terms, fire up the engines in the opposite direction (retrograde) of your movement when you reach your closest approach (perapsis) to the moon.  You can tell where retrograde is by looking on your navball for a green X surrounded by a circle with three lines sticking out in a triangle.  Center on that before engaging thrust.

When map mode shows you have an orbit around the moon you can stop your engines or keep firing to get a closer orbit.

You don't have to do this maneuver right at the perapsis, but it's most energy efficient this way.

When in orbit the trick is burning retrograde (against the direction of movement) reduces the distance on the opposite side of the orbit, burning prograde (with the direction of movement) increases it.  Burn retrograde enough and you hit whatever you are orbiting, burn prograde enough and you escape your orbit.

fhdz

This game is on sale on Steam if you haven't picked it up yet. Personally I am not sure whether to pull the trigger now or wait for a better sale.
and the horse you rode in on

MadBurgerMaker

I accidentally marooned Jeb on the Moon (again).  Bill is on the way with an extra capsule.  LEAVE NO MAN BEHIND