Pastafarian wins right to wear strainer in driving licence photo

Started by Brazen, July 13, 2011, 09:22:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Viking on July 14, 2011, 12:35:44 PM
So Not all religions are equal? How can there  be freedom of religion in that case?

The same way you can have "freedom of expression" even though all expressions aren't equal.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Viking

Quote from: Barrister on July 14, 2011, 12:33:25 PM

We never make conclusions about true / not true.  Everything is decided on standards such as "reasonable suspicion", "some evidence to believe", "reasonable grounds to believe", "proof on a balance of probabilities", and "proof beyond a reasonable doubt".  If pressed, no judge will ever state that can confirm anything with absolute certainty.

I was under the impression that the whole point of your profession was to make the conclusion about guilty / not guilty or liable / not liable etc. It's just that the art of lawyery is that sometimes 51% proof is sufficient to decide in some cases (idealized civil cases) and sometimes 99,999999999...% proof is sufficients in others (idealized criminal cases).
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: Malthus on July 14, 2011, 12:35:26 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 14, 2011, 12:30:00 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 14, 2011, 12:23:25 PM
Wouldn't a non-religious conscientous objector simply be a coward?

Well that's sort of the question, isn't it.  A mere coward isn't supposed to be able to claim CO status.  Someone with a deeply held belief in pacifism, and who can demonstrate that belief, can.

I guess we need a "hero" like the guy in the OP to demonstrate why having "special objective rules for purely subjective conditions" is silly, so we can get on with the business of treating all COs as cowards.  ;)

Snarky obfuscation, you are better than this malthus.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Quote from: Malthus on July 14, 2011, 12:36:54 PM
So Not all religions are equal? How can there  be freedom of religion in that case?

The same way you can have "freedom of expression" even though all expressions aren't equal.

No, all expressions are equal, they are just not all equally true or useful or offensive.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Viking on July 14, 2011, 12:24:12 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 14, 2011, 12:17:54 PM
Quote from: Viking on July 14, 2011, 12:08:34 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 14, 2011, 12:06:21 PM
Quote from: Viking on July 14, 2011, 12:01:56 PM
Love and Happiness can be measures using FMRI, Spiritness cannot.

Yeah blatantly false.  Meditation and prayer and so forth do show up on FMRI.

Yes, and? What do the effects meditation and prayer have on the brain to do with the existence of spirits?

It has nothing to do with proving the existence of a God or spirits as you put it but it has everything to do with proving that their believe in such things has a positive effect.  You are quite right that nobody could prove their religious beliefs are true in the scientific sense.  But people who believe do not require that level of proof.  Just as most normal people believe in a lot of things that cannot be proven to that degree of precision or certainty.

Yes, belief, prayer and meditation have real effects on the brain. This, however, has no bearing on the truth of religious or spiritual claims. These "spritual" activities have precisely the same effect regardless of the religion of the practitioner and are indistinguishable from self delusion, wishful thinking and the effects of The God Helmet.

How is what you said any different from my post?  The only difference between you and BB is that you demand a higher degree of proof before you believe in something.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Malthus

Quote from: Viking on July 14, 2011, 12:40:21 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 14, 2011, 12:35:26 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 14, 2011, 12:30:00 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 14, 2011, 12:23:25 PM
Wouldn't a non-religious conscientous objector simply be a coward?

Well that's sort of the question, isn't it.  A mere coward isn't supposed to be able to claim CO status.  Someone with a deeply held belief in pacifism, and who can demonstrate that belief, can.

I guess we need a "hero" like the guy in the OP to demonstrate why having "special objective rules for purely subjective conditions" is silly, so we can get on with the business of treating all COs as cowards.  ;)

Snarky obfuscation, you are better than this malthus.

What am I "obfusticating"?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Viking on July 14, 2011, 12:41:23 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 14, 2011, 12:36:54 PM

No, all expressions are equal, they are just not all equally true or useful or offensive.

Huh? In what way are they "equal"?

Viking

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 14, 2011, 12:43:23 PM
Yes, belief, prayer and meditation have real effects on the brain. This, however, has no bearing on the truth of religious or spiritual claims. These "spritual" activities have precisely the same effect regardless of the religion of the practitioner and are indistinguishable from self delusion, wishful thinking and the effects of The God Helmet.

How is what you said any different from my post?  The only difference between you and BB is that you demand a higher degree of proof before you believe in something.

It is different in the sense that all spiritual experiences can better be explained by materialistic causes. Every effect claimed by spirits, ghosts, gods and angels can be explained by materialistic explanations.

Barrister

Quote from: Viking on July 14, 2011, 12:39:10 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 14, 2011, 12:33:25 PM

We never make conclusions about true / not true.  Everything is decided on standards such as "reasonable suspicion", "some evidence to believe", "reasonable grounds to believe", "proof on a balance of probabilities", and "proof beyond a reasonable doubt".  If pressed, no judge will ever state that can confirm anything with absolute certainty.

I was under the impression that the whole point of your profession was to make the conclusion about guilty / not guilty or liable / not liable etc. It's just that the art of lawyery is that sometimes 51% proof is sufficient to decide in some cases (idealized civil cases) and sometimes 99,999999999...% proof is sufficients in others (idealized criminal cases).

If you want to get technical, a judge will say that 'on a balance of probabilities / proof beyond a reasonable doubt test i believe that X happened'  We make conclusions and make findings of fact - but any honest judge or lawyer that we are not doing so with absolute certainty.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Viking on July 14, 2011, 12:47:33 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 14, 2011, 12:43:23 PM

It is different in the sense that all spiritual experiences can better be explained by materialistic causes. Every effect claimed by spirits, ghosts, gods and angels can be explained by materialistic explanations.

You sniped my post so in context your post doesn make much sense.  You can assert that view but really it just boils down to the fact that you require a level of proof that is impossible for a person of faith to produce. 

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Freedom =/= equality.

Ta-da!
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 14, 2011, 12:58:02 PM
You sniped my post so in context your post doesn make much sense.  You can assert that view but really it just boils down to the fact that you require a level of proof that is impossible for a person of faith to produce.

On the contrary. I will always accept the most parsimonious theory which explains all the facts, is contradicted by none, makes predictions and can be disproven.

The reason you claim I have an impossible level of proof is because I require some and you have none.