And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 06, 2014, 01:45:24 PM
Dear Journal,

As we approach another nightfall without power, I am considering putting my Mother out of her misery;  while she seems alert and healthy, I cannot take any chances with her suffering during this ordeal.
I pray the pillow to suffocate her works quickly, and brings her peace.

:unsure:

sbr

Snowmegeddon 2014 has hit the Portland area today.

I left work early, at noon, to try and beat the idiots home.  My normally 45 minute drive took almost 3 hours.  There were multiple times on the drive I passed an accumulation of snow that was at least 1/2" deep.

CountDeMoney

Dear Journal,

Just as I was about to end my Mother's misery over yet another evening without Wheel of Fortune--what with it being Sandals Resorts Romance Week and all--the camp erupted in light.  We have juice.

And now, we return to our various media devices, and attempt to ignore each other as much as humanly possible.

Praise the Lord and pass the voltage.

CountDeMoney

37 hours without power is bullshit.  Fuck this 19th century Klondike frontier Jack London nonsense.

Ed Anger

Try going 72+.  Or the poor saps who went 2 weeks when Ike's remnant shitstains went through and DP&L got caught with its britches down.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

I survived Hurricane Isabel and 5 days without power;  but at least my condo is on city water and it's a gas unit, so I still had hot water.  But man, no electricity out here in Appalachia sucks ass.
At least it's winter, and all the refrigerator and freezer shit could go out in the garage.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 06, 2014, 08:17:35 PM
and DP&L got caught with its britches down.

Reliability standards are a bitch when the fines finally get handed down after all the politicians bitch, but as BG&E's public relations guy once said with a sigh of resignation in his voice after Irene, "In all fairness, it was a hurricane, you know."

Ed Anger

I still shake my old man fist at DP&L.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 06, 2014, 08:10:33 PM
37 hours without power is bullshit.  Fuck this 19th century Klondike frontier Jack London nonsense.

Jack London and the Klondike. :wub:

I'd almost wish for 37 hours without power here.  It'd be glorious, but then we'd freeze to death, because you need power in -20C weather.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Barrister on February 06, 2014, 11:31:15 PM

I'd almost wish for 37 hours without power here.  It'd be glorious, but then we'd freeze to death, because you need power in -20C weather.

No trees around?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 06, 2014, 11:36:39 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 06, 2014, 11:31:15 PM

No trees around?

Nothing to burn said trees in.

I have a gas fireplace, but it requires power to ignite it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on February 06, 2014, 03:13:40 PM
My colleague's from Cornwall, she says crazy shit's going on there. Like there's this bar, The Watering Hole, sitting on a nice and easy slop towards the beach?

Yeah, Cornwall's cut off. The main roads are flooded. And this happened to the mainline train route:
Let's bomb Russia!

KRonn

Usually we do ok with power outages where I am. My town has its own electrical facilty, and if power goes down the maintenance crews usually have things back up pretty fast, especially since only dealing with one town. Unlike the large statewide or regional power companies which may have power outages on a large scale and it can take days to get things fixed. These companines all have agreements with other states but storms that hit multiple states tax those maint resources. My town is one of the towns that supplied its own power before Massachusetts changed the laws in the early 20th century, probably at the behest of the big power companies who wanted all the business.  There are some other towns with their own power company and here it seems to be a good advantage to have. We also have town cable TV which I use.

Grey Fox

Never had to suffer a lost power outages of over 52hours.

In the same event my mom was out of power for 3 weeks.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.