News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

And from snow a few weeks back, we're into forest fire weather.  City is covered in smoke giving the streets a sickly yellow pallor.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Quote from: Barrister on May 30, 2019, 11:21:32 AM
And from snow a few weeks back, we're into forest fire weather.  City is covered in smoke giving the streets a sickly yellow pallor.

I wonder if we're in the midst of a similar process, but on a global scale? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Barrister

Quote from: mongers on May 30, 2019, 12:25:50 PM

I wonder if we're in the midst of a similar process, but on a global scale? :unsure:

Forest fire smoke has always been a thing living on the prairies, but they do say that the severity of them is increasing with climate change.

It is now dark to the point where vehicles are driving with their headlights on.  It's noon.

mongers

Quote from: Barrister on May 30, 2019, 12:57:36 PM

Forest fire smoke has always been a thing living on the prairies, but they do say that the severity of them is increasing with climate change.

It is now dark to the point where vehicles are driving with their headlights on.  It's noon.

I meant the rapid change from winter to summer with a truncated spring in between, possibly being analogous to significant climate change from one state to another stable situation.

Barrister

Quote from: mongers on May 30, 2019, 01:13:49 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 30, 2019, 12:57:36 PM

I meant the rapid change from winter to summer with a truncated spring in between, possibly being analogous to significant climate change from one state to another stable situation.

Nah that's always been Alberta weather.  You can get snow pretty much any time of year.

Barrister

Well thank goodness the absolute darkness has faded - the streetlights are back off, it no longer looks like some level of Hades out my office window.

Still smokey though.

garbon

Very shortly I'll be facing down 90 degree temps. Thankfully, I'll be departing before it hits 100. :cool:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

12C right now.  54F.
It is very cold for this time of the year.  I still have the heating on.  :(

It is very warm in the arctic, warm weather is pushing down cold air through most of Quebec, if not all the province and part of New England, maybe, I haven't really checked.

Some warm weather from the souther US/atlantic coast should be pushing back north any time soon.  Thing is, it might be only located around the extended Montreal area, maybe even up to Quebec city, but we'll be on the fence between the arctic cold air and warm weather from the south.  There goes St-Jean-Baptiste :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

KRonn

Finally getting some warm, Spring like weather for a while now. This weekend is beautiful, in the 70s (20+C). It did rain or was overcast Wed/Thurs but cleared up nicely on Friday. We've had so much rain, about every other day through April and much of May but it feels so nice now. I've been planting like crazy - annual and perennial flowers and of course my garden is all planted. Nearly 300 bean plants (I'll be luck if half do real well) and carrots. Peas have been growing since early April and I'm seeing lots of flowers which will turn to pea pods.

mongers

Quote from: KRonn on June 01, 2019, 02:07:06 PM
Finally getting some warm, Spring like weather for a while now. This weekend is beautiful, in the 70s (20+C). It did rain or was overcast Wed/Thurs but cleared up nicely on Friday. We've had so much rain, about every other day through April and much of May but it feels so nice now. I've been planting like crazy - annual and perennial flowers and of course my garden is all planted. Nearly 300 bean plants (I'll be luck if half do real well) and carrots. Peas have been growing since early April and I'm seeing lots of flowers which will turn to pea pods.

:cool:

KRonn you garden sounds idyllic, but also productive.

Here was a nice warm summers day.

KRonn

Quote from: mongers on June 01, 2019, 05:14:10 PM
Quote from: KRonn on June 01, 2019, 02:07:06 PM

:cool:

KRonn you garden sounds idyllic, but also productive.

Here was a nice warm summers day.

Yeah, the garden is a nice place. I  often enjoy just standing among it, looking over it. :) Only one week after I planted them I have lots of bean plants sprouting up already! But not all will continue to grow and thrive and even so I'll get lots that do, lots of beans. I often replant where seeds didn't take but won't do so this year. I have enough even if many don't thrive as well as I'd want. Still waiting on my carrots to start up, but I do see a couple of them just starting out.

Liep

Lovely weather today on election day. The Languish selection of a sympathetic christian nutter, a racist ultra liberal and a communist is all battling it out and it looks like the Communist will win that 3 way competition in a landslide.

Summer has come!
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

KRonn

Lol Liep, that's a pretty ominous sounding group of candidates there!

Liep

Quote from: KRonn on June 05, 2019, 09:06:10 AM
Lol Liep, that's a pretty ominous sounding group of candidates there!

True. They have the by far best looking leading candidates, but they'll only get about 12% of the total votes.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

derspiess

It will not stop raining. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall