News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Been coming down fast and light today, figure 4" by now and with shitty visibility, no sign of plows or salt trucks in sight.  Naturally, the perfect time to take the Jeep out for some coffee.

garbon

Quote from: Liep on February 21, 2015, 01:32:46 PM

I don't understand. Surely it would have been easier to just go with it and lie down in the snow. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 21, 2015, 01:52:33 PM
Been coming down fast and light today, figure 4" by now and with shitty visibility, no sign of plows or salt trucks in sight.  Naturally, the perfect time to take the Jeep out for some coffee.

I am so glad I left Boston early today so that I didn't have to deal with too much snow on the route back. Roads were really shitty once I hit Manhattan.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Eeek, cold snap here this evening, nearly gone down to 1C.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

HVC

Quote from: mongers on February 21, 2015, 06:08:19 PM
must be terrible for you <_<
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on February 21, 2015, 06:08:19 PM
must be terrible for you :console:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

I had a nap lying in my backyard hammock soaking up the sun yesterday afternoon.  I plan on doing the same this afternoon.  February has been the best month for snow on the local mountains in recent years (the 2010 Olympics were a notable exception).  But this year the local mountains are now closed because of they have no snow.  Climate change is pretty dramatic in these parts.  But I can console myself with some backyard naps in the sun.  I wonder what would how the world might have reacted differently to the issue of climate change if Vancouver had hosted the Olympics this year and all the outdoor events had to be cancelled.

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 22, 2015, 09:14:21 AM
I had a nap lying in my backyard hammock soaking up the sun yesterday afternoon.  I plan on doing the same this afternoon.  February has been the best month for snow on the local mountains in recent years (the 2010 Olympics were a notable exception).  But this year the local mountains are now closed because of they have no snow.  Climate change is pretty dramatic in these parts.  But I can console myself with some backyard naps in the sun.  I wonder what would how the world might have reacted differently to the issue of climate change if Vancouver had hosted the Olympics this year and all the outdoor events had to be cancelled.

Interesting, changing 'world' but it'll never be regarded as proof of anything.

Guess we'll just have to take the hammock swings with the roundabouts.

garbon

Giving how long global warming has been talked about, I don't see why that would raise even a few eyebrows.

On a different, though related note, I caught the local news while in Mass where various ski resorts were complaining that though they have an incredible amount of snow, people simply aren't showing up to ski.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on February 22, 2015, 09:25:01 AM
Giving how long global warming has been talked about, I don't see why that would raise even a few eyebrows.

On a different, though related note, I caught the local news while in Mass where various ski resorts were complaining that though they have an incredible amount of snow, people simply aren't showing up to ski.

Well up to a point it's all noise in the signal. On one level you can say, this and that indication from everyday life suggests to me that the local climate is changing.

But unless you've meticulously documented change and collected data for decade after decade in the same area, it's a hard case to make. If one can say, here's my evidence for the last 20-30 years at this location, then in retrospect you could claim with some authority that your local climate has noticeably changed. 

garbon

But then that just takes you to the next step. 'Sure it is changing but weather patterns do naturally change and even if we think we had an impact what is there that we can realistically do to reverse the effects.'

garbon

And that's assuming that people believe the evidence you've presented. :D :(

lustindarkness

Central Alabama is in full panic mode, the weather forecasts  keep using the "S" word for tomorrow. LOL
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

mongers

Up North it's been a pretty good couple of days, good sunshine and despite the strong nor'westerlies it feels spring like, the plants and birds certainly seem to think so.  :bowler:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: lustindarkness on February 24, 2015, 06:13:09 PM
Central Alabama is in full panic mode, the weather forecasts  keep using the "S" word for tomorrow. LOL

"Sherman"?  BURN BABY BURN