And we're back!

Main Menu

Dutch Muslims & Jews united together

Started by viper37, June 16, 2011, 03:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on June 17, 2011, 09:51:38 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 17, 2011, 07:58:46 PM
Presumably you could also engage of the "extra" right of kosher slaughter.

Alas, no. They wouldn't allow it.

What about the US?  I did post an article that had a gentile Kosher butcher.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on June 18, 2011, 04:58:38 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 17, 2011, 09:51:38 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 17, 2011, 07:58:46 PM
Presumably you could also engage of the "extra" right of kosher slaughter.
Alas, no. They wouldn't allow it.
What about the US?  I did post an article that had a gentile Kosher butcher.
The US doesn't pass laws because they hate Jews, or even Muslims.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Queequeg

Quote from: Viking on June 16, 2011, 04:32:50 PM
Quote from: Martinus on June 16, 2011, 04:30:51 PM
Quote from: Jacob on June 16, 2011, 04:28:13 PM
Quote from: Martinus on June 16, 2011, 04:21:59 PMAgreed.

You and Slargos do have a lot in common.

We don't like retards who follow bronze age customs in the 21st century. Yes.

3rd Century BC greece was bronze age :contract:
1) You probably meant to say 6th and 5th centuries BC. The Hellenistic was not the hayday for homosexuality in Greece.
2) The Bronze Age ended half a millenium before what you are thinking of. At least.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Razgovory

Quote from: Queequeg on June 18, 2011, 09:20:20 AM
Quote from: Viking on June 16, 2011, 04:32:50 PM
Quote from: Martinus on June 16, 2011, 04:30:51 PM
Quote from: Jacob on June 16, 2011, 04:28:13 PM
Quote from: Martinus on June 16, 2011, 04:21:59 PMAgreed.

You and Slargos do have a lot in common.

We don't like retards who follow bronze age customs in the 21st century. Yes.

3rd Century BC greece was bronze age :contract:
1) You probably meant to say 6th and 5th centuries BC. The Hellenistic was not the hayday for homosexuality in Greece.
2) The Bronze Age ended half a millenium before what you are thinking of. At least.

I guess we should throw away, Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Euclid and the like.  Bunch of Bronze age savages.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Martinus

Razgovory

Cause I know that BC doesn't stand for "Bronze age"?

dps

Quote from: garbon on June 17, 2011, 05:39:16 PM

I still don't get this position. If the law is "baseless" enough to allow for exemptions, perhaps everyone should get those same exemptions. What's so exceptional about the halal slaughter ritual that if divorced from a religious context, it should be banned but allowed if it keeps the religious element?

I think that you (and possibly Berkut, based on some of his posts earlier in the thread) are operating off of a mistaken assumption.  In general, a government that has general police powers (which in the US, individual states do, but the Federal government, in theory, doesn't) don't have to have an compelling reason to enact laws.  They can do so just on the vague notion that it seems like a good idea, for completely trivial reasons, or even just on the whims of the legislators.  Consider that every state has an official state bird.  Is there any compelling reason that a state should have an official bird?  No, but that doesn't make such legislation invalid or unconstitutional.  The only time that a state has to demonstrate a compelling reason for a law is if it infringes on constitutionally protected freedoms--and even then only if it's challanged in court, in which case, if the courts, if they find that the state lacks a sufficiently compelling reason, will not allow the law to be enforced in a manner that violates a constitutionally protected right.  Assuming that neither you nor I are observant Jews, enforcing a law against slaughtering animals in the manner required by keeping kosher wouldn't infringe on our right to the free exercise of religion, so it would be enforceble against us, but not against an observant Jew (though we might be able to make a case under the equal protection clause).  In practice, legislatures will often right exemptions for certain groups into the legislation in the first place, just to avoid court fights over the issue.

Razgovory

Since cutting the throat of an animal with out electrocuting it or bashing it in the head is vile torture for bloodthirsty gods, I wonder what else is torture?  When I go fishing, am being a vile torturer? :blush:

Slargos

Quote from: Razgovory on June 18, 2011, 02:36:55 PM
Since cutting the throat of an animal with out electrocuting it or bashing it in the head is vile torture for bloodthirsty gods, I wonder what else is torture?  When I go fishing, am being a vile torturer? :blush:

Your posting here is torture.

grumbler

Quote from: dps on June 18, 2011, 02:18:00 PM
I think that you (and possibly Berkut, based on some of his posts earlier in the thread) are operating off of a mistaken assumption.  In general, a government that has general police powers (which in the US, individual states do, but the Federal government, in theory, doesn't) don't have to have an compelling reason to enact laws.  They can do so just on the vague notion that it seems like a good idea, for completely trivial reasons, or even just on the whims of the legislators.  Consider that every state has an official state bird.  Is there any compelling reason that a state should have an official bird?  No, but that doesn't make such legislation invalid or unconstitutional.  The only time that a state has to demonstrate a compelling reason for a law is if it infringes on constitutionally protected freedoms--and even then only if it's challanged in court, in which case, if the courts, if they find that the state lacks a sufficiently compelling reason, will not allow the law to be enforced in a manner that violates a constitutionally protected right.  Assuming that neither you nor I are observant Jews, enforcing a law against slaughtering animals in the manner required by keeping kosher wouldn't infringe on our right to the free exercise of religion, so it would be enforceble against us, but not against an observant Jew (though we might be able to make a case under the equal protection clause).  In practice, legislatures will often right exemptions for certain groups into the legislation in the first place, just to avoid court fights over the issue.
:huh:  I haven't a clue as to what position you are actually taking here.

Governments have the powers given them by the people, in the US.  Laws which authorize compulsion (though not symbolic laws like ones designating state birds or commemorative days) must fall within the assigned powers of the government or they will be declared invalid by the courts.  This isn't a matter of constitutionally-protected freedoms; if any government from the town to the nation passed a law requiring everyone to wear red shirts or be thrown in jail, it would be stayed immediately, and not because the people subject to the law have a constitutionally-protected right to wear non-red shirts.  The government could order its employees to wear red shirts, though.  The reason it could do the latter and not the former is because the latter falls within its powers and the former does not.

I think you are, as someone said, "operating off of a mistaken assumption" if you think that governments can pass laws "just on the whims of the legislators."  That is theoretically true in Britain, perhaps, but not in the US.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

ulmont

Quote from: grumbler on June 18, 2011, 03:52:52 PM
Governments have the powers given them by the people, in the US.  Laws which authorize compulsion (though not symbolic laws like ones designating state birds or commemorative days) must fall within the assigned powers of the government or they will be declared invalid by the courts.

You missed his point.  The US federal government, at least in theory, has to be able to point to a specific authorization for every law.  That is, it operates on a "what is not specifically permitted is forbidden" model.  The states have a generic police power to pass laws, so long as those laws don't conflict with the state constitution or the federal constitution.  That is, unless something is specifically forbidden, it is permitted.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on June 17, 2011, 10:27:31 PM
The argument that "well, yes, the method used (copied directly from halal regulations, because halal was naturally the focus of their studies) caused pain, but doing the exact same thing with a slightly longer blade sharpened in a slightly different manner would have completely different results" simply isn't logically tenable.  It may prove to be true, but it certainly isn't obviously true or even scientifically valid.  It is like arguing that we understand the reflectivity of light striking a surface at a 45 degree angle, but its behavior is completely different at 46

But the analogy doesn't hold because an expert in thte field raises several specific reasons why based on her extensive prior observations, there are good reasons to believe there may indeed be significant differences.  This can be only discounted by reversing the burden of proof. 

If your argument is that as a matter of public policy a study like this would be sufficient to support legislation (in the absence of other considerations like interference with free exercise) I would agree, because policy is often made based on evidence that is objectively weak or flawed from a scientific perspective.  But you seem to be making a stronger argument about this about the strength of this study's results as applied to a materially different context.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

You at the office on the Sabbath?  tsk tsk.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Siege

Quote from: Neil on June 16, 2011, 08:13:57 PM
Quote from: Slargos on June 16, 2011, 07:27:36 PM
Do you ever worry that your Jew blood may be impairing your judgement?  :hmm:
Not really.  After all, it's not blood that impairs judgement, but rather culture.

For once, you got something right.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"