News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

World of Tanks

Started by Threviel, June 13, 2011, 06:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

Quote from: DGuller on August 16, 2011, 03:58:44 PM
I finally graduated from the IS tank, after almost 200 battles, with an average kill per match of well above 1.  Unfortunatley, I forgot to check the price of IS-3 before selling IS, so now I'm short on Soviet heavy tanks while I'm trying to earn enough credits.  Unfortunately, my garage has been rather clean already, so garage sale yielded only limited results.

Don't forget to look at modules for tanks you currently have in your garage. They're typically the costlier ones. Just watch out so you don't sell stuff you might want to use for the IS-3. I'd expect that to already be mounted on your IS though, so shouldn't be a huge worry.

DGuller

I'm very careful about seeling modules.  I only sell the modules that fit the tanks I already elited out.

Berkut

I think I've got a decent cred generation scheme now. I have my M41, which is good for ~20k per match, and I am almost done getting into the M4, which is supposed to be a cred farming machine as well.

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Yeah, I have to get back into playing arty as well.  I have re-bought M37, but then it reminded me how much I hate playing arty, and why I sold it in the first place.  I guess I just have to tough it out and wait until I get more powerful pieces.

Slargos

My hatred of SPGs notwithstanding, I just realized that perhaps the best way of getting an SPG nerf is to increase the number of SPGs in battle.  :hmm:

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on August 16, 2011, 04:15:13 PM
Yeah, I have to get back into playing arty as well.  I have re-bought M37, but then it reminded me how much I hate playing arty, and why I sold it in the first place.  I guess I just have to tough it out and wait until I get more powerful pieces.

I went from lukewarm, to active hate, back to lukewarm, to really liking it.

Key: get equipment. Shell rammer and GLD is *necessary*.

0 rows returned

DGuller

GLD?

EDIT:  Oh, gun laying drive.  I hope you can use the ones from tanks, because I now have a couple of those freed up due to my change to using mostly optical equipment.

Slargos

Just scored 3 frags in my first Hummel match. Alps. Not the greatest map for arty, but I parked on the hill and decided to play overwatch on the bridge and valley. Two of the frags were on the opposing hilltop where tanks had foolishly positioned probably thinking they'd found a great camping spot. One of them I killed in the blind.  :hmm:

I will say this for playing SPG: the perspective gives you a lot more understanding of how and why you get hit by SPGs yourself, in addition to learning how people maneuver.  Quite important lessons. I was able to fire 4 times on a stationary Jagdpanther. First was a near miss, second was a direct non-penetrating hit, third was a ground-hit which took him down to 4% and the fourth finally knocked him out. What really made me a bit surprised was that he didn't move at all after jiggling around a bit the first time I shot at him. Neither did the tanks attacking across the bridge. They just sat there watching even after I'd taken him down to 4%. I saw them take a few shots but no one attempted to close with him despite the fact that he was the last remaining defender of the bridge.

It all becomes so much clearer from bird's eye view. There should really be an observation mode where you can simply watch games.

DGuller

Yeah, playing SPGs definitely gives you good ideas on how to avoid getting hit by one yourself.  It also helps you understand when you're a hard target to hit, and thus can safely disregard the threat from the arty for the time being.

Berkut

That is a good idea, observation mode.

What would be cool is getting into it where you can see everyone, but cannot communicate. Wouldn't work because people would cheat though.

0 rows returned

Slargos

Quote from: Berkut on August 16, 2011, 06:40:52 PM
That is a good idea, observation mode.

What would be cool is getting into it where you can see everyone, but cannot communicate. Wouldn't work because people would cheat though.

Replay feature would fix that right quick. Don't see why they haven't already implemented one.

Berkut

Yeah, a replay/video capture♦ ability would be awesome.

0 rows returned

frunk

Particularly if you could replay it from each person's perspective as well as god mode.

DGuller

It's that map with the island in the middle.  Everyone on our team went right, to camp the enemy base.  No one left near our base.  The enemy caps our base.  Despite repeated pleading, all of our team continues camping their base, waiting for the enemy to peak out.  Shockingly, the enemy team wins by capturing the base.  At least there was almost no loss of life in that battle, you have to be thankful for that.

Slargos

Quote from: DGuller on August 16, 2011, 08:51:26 PM
It's that map with the island in the middle.  Everyone on our team went right, to camp the enemy base.  No one left near our base.  The enemy caps our base.  Despite repeated pleading, all of our team continues camping their base, waiting for the enemy to peak out.  Shockingly, the enemy team wins by capturing the base.  At least there was almost no loss of life in that battle, you have to be thankful for that.

[Berkut]Why didn't you defend?[/Berkut]

Seems to happen more often with that map than with any other. Possibly because it's smaller, and the route to the flag is more direct which means tanks arrive on cap sooner than it's possible to react to it. Additionally, it's a difficult map to attack on, given the wide open spaces. Hell, almost as difficult to defend since there's no obvious cover unless you have the right tank or use the depressions judiciously.

What pisses me off most about the lemming trains is how they ignore the numerical advantage. The Zerg is a powerful tactic and I've seen some simply amazing plays when on paper vastly superior forces were annihilated with minimal casualties by the simply virtue of hitting fast, hard and keep hitting until they're staring confused at their burning hulks wondering what the hell just happened. But the goddamned Lemming fails every time.

Seeing 3 heavies hesitate for almost a minute when facing a lone, damaged PzIII who was playing the stupidest game of peekaboo I've ever seen, seriously undermined my faith in humanity. What little I had left. It wasn't until I had rolled my Ferdi all the way past the morons, around the corner, took out the PzIII and continued on that they actually started to move forward of course behind me. There's a large amount of complete idiots in that game, and surprisingly some of them even drive tier 10 tanks. Though of course that could be people borrowing their friends' accounts.