News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Vienna

Started by Alcibiades, June 06, 2011, 02:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alcibiades

Who's going to be there Saturday June 11th?    :bowler:

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Zoupa

Syt.

He knows good beer spots  ;)

Syt

Well, yeah, me obviously. :P

I know decent beer places, but don't ask me about party nightlife. ;)

Let me know if you want to meet or want to see anything around town. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Oh yeah, some Languish suggestions:
- Treasure Chamber: has the HRE and Habsburg crown jewels
- Army museum: trophies from the Turkish and French Wars, some WW1 Italian front stuff, car and uniform of Franz Ferdinand
- Castle Schönbrunn (nice parks, but a bit off the center)
- Walking through 1st District and its Ringstraße and little alleys
Plenty of arts museums, but the largest (Kunsthistorisches with paintings and Egyptian/Greek/Roman collection, Albertina, etc.) could take a whole day by themselves.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

BVN

Went to Vienna in april. Absolutely loved it. Nice, clean city with mostly friendly people (except the staff at Hotel Sacher but I just had to buy a Sacher Torte) and lots of interesting things to see.

Duque de Bragança

Syt forgot to mention a Schnitzel place  :contract:

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

BVN

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 07, 2011, 03:22:53 AM

Every second restaurant in Vienna has Schnitzel on his menu...

Syt

Quote from: BVN on June 07, 2011, 03:32:37 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 07, 2011, 03:22:53 AM

Every second restaurant in Vienna has Schnitzel on his menu...

Yes, but the *real* Vienna Schnitzel is veal. Most places offer pork/chicken instead - nothing wrong with it, but you can get that anywhere in Germany/Austria.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Pedrito

When in Vienna years ago I went to a pub/restaurant called (maybe) "Bettelstudent" where I had probably the best pork ribs in my life, and excellent beer, too :mmm:

Can't remember where it was located, though

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Syt

Quote from: Pedrito on June 07, 2011, 05:57:59 AM
When in Vienna years ago I went to a pub/restaurant called (maybe) "Bettelstudent" where I had probably the best pork ribs in my life, and excellent beer, too :mmm:

Can't remember where it was located, though

L.

It's in the inner city.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Alcibiades

Message sent to Syt.  :contract:

Pedrito, I'll be in Venice around Friday the 17th until Sunday the 19th, if you're still going to be around wouldn't mind meeting you as well.

On an unrelated note, any beaches within a reasonable rail distance of Venice for a couple of days?
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Zanza

Quote from: Alcibiades on June 07, 2011, 11:35:58 AM
On an unrelated note, any beaches within a reasonable rail distance of Venice for a couple of days?
Rimini is the prototypic Italian beach town...or you could go to Croatia.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on June 07, 2011, 12:15:34 AM
Oh yeah, some Languish suggestions:
- Treasure Chamber: has the HRE and Habsburg crown jewels
- Army museum: trophies from the Turkish and French Wars, some WW1 Italian front stuff, car and uniform of Franz Ferdinand
- Castle Schönbrunn (nice parks, but a bit off the center)
- Walking through 1st District and its Ringstraße and little alleys
Plenty of arts museums, but the largest (Kunsthistorisches with paintings and Egyptian/Greek/Roman collection, Albertina, etc.) could take a whole day by themselves.

Vienna was fabulous.  Of this list only made it to the Treasure Chamber and the Kunsthistorisches, both of which were well, well, well worth the trip.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Pedrito

Quote from: Alcibiades on June 07, 2011, 11:35:58 AM
Message sent to Syt.  :contract:

Pedrito, I'll be in Venice around Friday the 17th until Sunday the 19th, if you're still going to be around wouldn't mind meeting you as well.

The nearest beach is on the Lido island, immediately in front of Venice.
It's about 30 minutes by boat (always use public transport boats, taxi boats are awesomely expensive, gondolas are good only if you're a japanese honeymooning couple), there's surely a boat directly from the train station to the Lido. The island could be a bit expensive, though, and I don't know where you're sleeping while in Venice, but I'm not sure if there are camping sites or hostels on the island.

Better than the Lido di Venezia, I would suggest going to Jesolo Lido, a bit farther but easily reachable from Venice's train station, too (you should get a boat to Punta Sabbioni, north of the city on the upper edge of the lagoon, then, once there, a bus to Jesolo Lido); it's the place where avalanches of youth go to have some fun, either during the day on the beaches or, at nighttime, in discos or clubs. There should be plenty of camping sites, bed&breakfasts, hostels in the area.

Mandatory things to do in Venice:

visit the Ducal Palace, seat of the Serenissima government,
San Marco's Basilica,
The Accademia museum, it's wonderful :wub:
Historic Naval Museum, near the Arsenal

All of these will require hour-long queues to get in, so be prepared.
To add to the general mess, the Biennale International Contemporary Art Exhibition has opened some days ago and will go on until november. Not my cup of tea, but if you're interested, you should pay a visit.

Getting lost in Venice is always fun: just taking a wrong turn will throw you out of the usual pedestrian tourist walks, and the city will open up in small squares (campi), narrow streets between houses (calli) or along canals (fondamente), sometimes so narrow that two persons have a hard time walking side by side. The city's pretty small, so sooner or later you'll find the way again, and you get to see wonderful remote corners of the town.

If you need more information, I can help.

About the meeting, I'm not sure I could get to see you guys, because usually my weekends are devoted to the kids: I hope I can get some free hours, but don't count too much on this. I'll keep you posted if there are good news.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot: