Quick question for American Law/Medical professionals

Started by sbr, June 04, 2011, 10:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

My 15 year old daughter is going to Arizona to stay with a friend of hers for a month this summer.  I want to write up a letter that acts as a permission slip/waiver to allow her friend's mom and older sister to authorize medical care/treatment in case anything happens while she is down there.  Obviously if anything major happened and my daughter needed major medical attention I would be in Arizona ASAP to deal with it, but I would like them to be able to deal with anything minor that might come up.

I ripped this part from a school field trip form:

QuoteI, the parent/guardian of the above named minor, grant permission to ____(mom/sister's name)______ to authorize necessary medical services in an emergeny, including injections, anesthesia, surgery and medication, if I cannot be contacted at the telephone numbers shown below; and I agree to be responsible for any expenses not covered by personal insurance that may be incurred as a result of an accident or medical emergency involved the above named minor.

Does that seem appropriate for what I am looking for?

One thing this doesn't cover the medical privacy (HIPAA) part.  I will want to allow mom/sister access to my daughter's medical conditions while in their care so I will need something to address that.  Anyone have any advice or guidance in writing up a waiver for that purpose? 

Should I make a separate letter for the mom and sister or would one with both names work?

Should I worry about specifying dates or make it open-ended?

Thanks in advance for any helpful answers.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on June 05, 2011, 02:29:45 AM
My advice is talk to your lawyer/doctor.

Ask an expert and not a bunch of antisocial strangers on an anonymous internet board? What are you, a Languish-hating communist?

Eddie Teach

Well, he also has to consider if the answer is worth the fee.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Scipio

Quote from: sbr on June 04, 2011, 10:34:36 PM
My 15 year old daughter is going to Arizona to stay with a friend of hers for a month this summer.  I want to write up a letter that acts as a permission slip/waiver to allow her friend's mom and older sister to authorize medical care/treatment in case anything happens while she is down there.  Obviously if anything major happened and my daughter needed major medical attention I would be in Arizona ASAP to deal with it, but I would like them to be able to deal with anything minor that might come up.

I ripped this part from a school field trip form:

QuoteI, the parent/guardian of the above named minor, grant permission to ____(mom/sister's name)______ to authorize necessary medical services in an emergeny, including injections, anesthesia, surgery and medication, if I cannot be contacted at the telephone numbers shown below; and I agree to be responsible for any expenses not covered by personal insurance that may be incurred as a result of an accident or medical emergency involved the above named minor.

Does that seem appropriate for what I am looking for?

One thing this doesn't cover the medical privacy (HIPAA) part.  I will want to allow mom/sister access to my daughter's medical conditions while in their care so I will need something to address that.  Anyone have any advice or guidance in writing up a waiver for that purpose? 

Should I make a separate letter for the mom and sister or would one with both names work?

Should I worry about specifying dates or make it open-ended?

Thanks in advance for any helpful answers.
http://www.azag.gov/life_care/index.html#Materials
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Neil

Arizona?  Don't let her go.  They have gun wielding maniacs and wild Mexicans.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

You plan on being out of the country on safari for a month, sbr?  In our day and age, there's no reason why you can't be contacted within 20 minutes of something.

merithyn

I usually use this form when my kids travel without me: Link

I take out the bit about religious education, etc., and amend things as I prefer them, but the template works well enough, I think. The lawyers may say otherwise. To date, it's not been put to the test. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...