News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Can Turkey Unify the Arabs?

Started by jimmy olsen, May 30, 2011, 06:04:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on June 01, 2011, 12:18:59 AM
And not that I necessarily disagree with grumbles, but are there any examples of societies that educate their women (through professional degrees on par with men) other than western Europe/NAm/Australia?

South American countries supposedly have a pretty good reputation for educating women but that might just have been by 3rd world standards.  Professional degrees on par with men is a pretty high standard.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on May 31, 2011, 08:41:31 PM
The secret to creating tolerant societies has never been difficult to figure out:  educate the women.  I think you will find that every society with well-educated* women is a tolerant one with sustainable birth rates; every one without well-educated women is an intolerant society with unsustainable birth rates.  And the transition comes with equal female education.

As someone said, this isn't rocket science.

*i.e. women who get primary education through professional degrees on a par with men.

I think you may have stumbled upon the solution for those Western countries that are experiencing too much of a decline in birth rate.  Keep the girls out of school! :smarty:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

And not that I necessarily disagree with grumbles, but are there any examples of societies that educate their women (through professional degrees on par with men) other than western Europe/NAm/Australia?

Former Soviet Union.  Not exactly a place known for it's tolerance.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on June 01, 2011, 08:56:16 AM

South American countries supposedly have a pretty good reputation for educating women but that might just have been by 3rd world standards.  Professional degrees on par with men is a pretty high standard.

I think educational opportunities are pretty good for women in most of South America, but one might say that professional opportunities might be somewhat more limited for them than they are for women in the US & Europe.  At the very least, there seems to be a lot less of an obsession with pushing women into non-traditional professions. 

But that may well say more about us than them.  The "OMG we gotta get more women into engineering!" thing always makes me laugh-- couldn't it just be that an engineering career just doesn't appeal to as many women?

Another refreshing thing about South Americans is that they don't pretend to like women's sports.  I tried explaining Title IX to my mother in law & I don't think she even believed me that it exists.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

We need to force women to have 85 scholarship football programs.  That will fix their little equality wagon.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Crazy_Ivan80

I don't know wether a turkey sandwich is tasty enough to unite arabs. Maybe if it's made fro jewish turkey?

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on June 01, 2011, 09:33:51 AM
We need to force women to have 85 scholarship football programs.  That will fix their little equality wagon.

Yeah, but then ESPN would feel compelled to waste valuable airtime with women's football, just like they do with women's basketball.

Having said that, I'd probably watch women's football under the right circumstances :ph34r:

HVC

Quote from: derspiess on June 01, 2011, 02:24:37 PM

Having said that, I'd probably watch women's football under the right circumstances :ph34r:
niece of my mayor (also a counselor's daughter. Brother in politics) is close to being in the lingerie league.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

Japan, Israel, Korea, Russia, and some of the Caribbean states like Barbados all spring to mind.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on May 31, 2011, 10:19:42 PM
But does women getting educated make society more tolerant, or is a more tolerant society more likely to allow/provide women to pursue higher education?
That's a good question.  It pretty much started in Revolutionary France, though, and we saw the development of tolerant France and educated-female-France almost simultaneously.  It would be interesting to see a study of how France's laws against female inheritance may have played into this, though.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on June 01, 2011, 09:23:56 AM
But that may well say more about us than them.  The "OMG we gotta get more women into engineering!" thing always makes me laugh-- couldn't it just be that an engineering career just doesn't appeal to as many women?

Not surprising that you would laugh at something complex.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

You know, now that I'm reflecting on it, I don't think turkey can unify the Arabs.  It is tasty, but I don't think any genuine peace can be built on lunch meats.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: HVC on June 01, 2011, 02:29:49 PM
niece of my mayor (also a counselor's daughter. Brother in politics) is close to being in the lingerie league.

pics plx
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on June 02, 2011, 02:12:37 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 01, 2011, 09:23:56 AM

Not surprising that you would laugh at something complex.

Go on.