News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ryan Blames GOP on Democratic Scare Tactics

Started by Faeelin, May 25, 2011, 10:17:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

Tuesday's special election win by Democrat Kathy Hochul was the result of Democratic scare tactics, and not actually a referendum on the reality of his Medicare plan, House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan said in his first comments after the polls closed in Western New York.

"I saw the ads," Ryan said. "I saw burning people's Medicare cards. If you can scare seniors into thinking that their current benefits are being affected, that's going to have an effect. And that is exactly what took place here. So yes, yes, it's demagoguery, it's scaring seniors."

Ryan also chalked up Hochul's win to the candidacy of Jack Davis, a self-funded candidate who drew more votes than the margin of victory.

"When a Democrat runs as a third party, tea party candidate and spends a couple million dollars, it's going to have an effect," Ryan said Wednesday morning on MSNBC's "Morning Joe."

Hochul won a heavily Republican district that was represented by Jack Kemp, Bill Paxon and Tom Reynolds before Chris Lee, who resigned last year after a shirtless photo he posted in a personal ad on Craigslist surfaced.

Earlier this month, Republican presidential candidate and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich suggested that that Ryan's plan for Medicare amounted to "right-wing social engineering," though he quickly retracted that comment and said it wasn't directed at Ryan.

Meanwhile, a handful of Senate Republicans, including Scott Brown of Massachusetts, and Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins from Maine, have said this week that they won't vote for the Ryan plan when it hits the Senate floor. But that's not a problem on the House side, according to Ryan.

"Our caucus is very unified," he said.

Between now and the 2012 elections, Ryan said he expects Republicans will be able to "show people the facts" about Medicare and that voters will ultimately "reward leadership," voting for candidates who were "not trying to scare people, but fix problems."

"We don't have that much more time to keep kicking the can down the road because we will have a debt crisis if we don't start taking these issues seriously," Ryan added. "If we keep playing politics and using political weapons against each other, then we'll have political paralysis, then a debt crisis and everybody gets hurt. I think we need leadership. I think we're moving forward. We're unified and excited about taikng this challenge to the public."

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0511/55670.html

A trend for 2012? Or a bump in the road?

Grallon

Quote from: Faeelin on May 25, 2011, 10:17:38 AM

Hasn't this been a thread for several years now?  The members of your Congress represent the interests of the various factions that finance them - they've long abdicated their duty to work for the citizens' interests.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Valmy

Quote from: Grallon on May 25, 2011, 11:15:06 AM
Hasn't this been a thread for several years now?  The members of your Congress represent the interests of the various factions that finance them - they've long abdicated their duty to work for the citizens' interests.

And the ones that did not are no longer in office.  In the reality of big money corruption...er...I mean campaign finance it is hard to be in the game without compromising yourself.

It disturbs me to agree with Grallon on something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Faeelin on May 25, 2011, 10:17:38 AM
Business as usual, as far as I can see.  Ryan engages in demagoguery, the Democrats respond with their demagoguery, Ryan whines when the Dem version proves better than his, but all House Republicans and democrats remain in lockstep until they march off a cliff.

Usually, a sane policy emerges as actual law after everyone frags themselves with over-the-top posturing.

So, no change from what Washington, Lincoln, and Roosevelt had to put up with.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

The American public has shown consistently, in poll after poll, that it is in deep denial about the deficit and what it would take to reduce it.  There is no easier path in politics than playing to that ignorance and demagoguing any serious attempt at entitlement reform that comes down the road.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 25, 2011, 08:05:54 PM
The American public has shown consistently, in poll after poll, that it is in deep denial about the deficit and what it would take to reduce it.  There is no easier path in politics than playing to that ignorance and demagoguing any serious attempt at entitlement reform that comes down the road.

So what's going to happen?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Jacob on May 25, 2011, 08:28:06 PM

So what's going to happen?

We'll keep putting off fixing the problem until the problem forces us to do otherwise.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

grumbler

Or, to put it another way, the American public has shown consistently, in poll after poll, that it understands what it would take to reduce the deficit.  There is, however, a vocal minority on both sides that is in deep denial about what it takes to reduce the deficit meaningfully, and politicians prosper better by appealing strongly to the loony fringes and letting the middle fall where it may.  In the end, though, the laws that pass are fairly centrist and reasonable (though highly vulnerable to unintended consequences, to be sure).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 25, 2011, 09:02:29 PM
We'll keep putting off fixing the problem until the problem forces us to do otherwise.

Yup.

sbr

The creators of the 'Death Panels' myth is complaining about 'Scare Tactics'?  :lmfao:

CountDeMoney

When you get your ass handed to you by both the Senate and NY-26 on the same day, of course you're going to blame it on "scare tactics".

citizen k

Quote from: sbr on May 25, 2011, 09:49:09 PM
The creators of the 'Death Panels' myth is complaining about 'Scare Tactics'?  :lmfao:

That was my favorite part of Obamacare. I was already compiling a candidate list.

Berkut

I always find this kind of argument rather puzzling.

I mean, you of course have a point.

But when you say something like "Hey, you should not complain about using tactic A, since you guys used that tactic before!", presuming you argued against the use of such tactics before, aren't you conceding that in fact they should not be used now?

I mean this in general, not in reference to you in particular.

But the alternative is to concede that in fact when you bitched about the tactic being used before, it wasn't really the tactic you had a problem with, but rather that it was being used against you.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Ryan created the myth about "death panels?"  I thought that was Palin, and so did the media i read.  Got a link?

Bayraktar!

Neil

Does this election even matter?  The Republicans still control the House, so let's remember to keep this in perspective.  Don't get hypnotized by the 24-hour news cycle.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.