Cool proverbs and sayings in your native tongue

Started by Martinus, May 22, 2011, 03:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

I only realized recently that in Polish we have a very dark/fatalistic saying: "Hope is the mother of fools". I think it is rather cool in how removed it is from the way hope is viewed in English proverbs and sayings.  :P

The Brain

Hellre hängmatta i parken än hängpattar till marken

I don't think I need to translate this universal truth.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Cecil

Quote from: The Brain on May 22, 2011, 03:27:28 PM
Hellre hängmatta i parken än hängpattar till marken

I don't think I need to translate this universal truth.

:lol:

Never heard that one actually.

Razgovory

I don't have a native tongue.  I speak English. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Lucidor

Quote from: Razgovory on May 22, 2011, 03:35:03 PM
I don't have a native tongue.  I speak English. :(
I'm fascinated with the English saying "Cat's got your tongue?" :hug:

Slargos

Pedrito

Either Google Translate is doing a crappy work, or swedish proverbs are completely devoid of meaning  :huh:

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Slargos

Quote from: Pedrito on May 22, 2011, 03:50:04 PM
Either Google Translate is doing a crappy work, or swedish proverbs are completely devoid of meaning  :huh:

L.

Well. The final one wasn't really a proverb as such.

I think you need to speak Scandie in order to appreciate them.  :D

Martinus

Slargos

Ta på dig gummistövlar om du ska knacka bög.

Meaning, of coursethat it is important to take precautions when dealing with potential health hazards.

Scipio

An idiot will learn as fast as a genius.

In taste and appearance, there are no friends.

Hit him, I know him!
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Tamas

Addig jár a korsó a kútra, amíg el nem törik

Remember that.

Habbaku

Quote from: Tamas on May 22, 2011, 04:27:33 PM
Addig jár a korsó a kútra, amíg el nem törik

Remember that.

"The jug shall act on one as long as it doesn't break." ?  :hmm:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

"I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien