Main Menu

So we hit the debt limit...

Started by MadImmortalMan, May 17, 2011, 01:18:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on May 17, 2011, 03:11:54 PM
Quote from: HVC on May 17, 2011, 03:10:58 PM
been tried. didn't work :lol:

Nah our consumption is down.  We might even cease to be disgustingly obese if this horrible trend continues.
cheap food is bad food. you'll be poorer AND fatter.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on May 17, 2011, 03:13:26 PM
cheap food is bad food. you'll be poorer AND fatter.

Ah good point.  The land of the fat and the home of the poor.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Slargos on May 17, 2011, 03:07:55 PM

You will never be able to sell that to them.

We have stopped listening. You euros nag more than a woman does.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Slargos

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 17, 2011, 03:14:20 PM

If you mother FUCKERS deigned to listen just a little bit a part of the time, we wouldn't be in this fucking mess.

You REFUSED to re-arm the Germans and invade Russia.

You REFUSED to nuke Red China.

You ARMED the muslims.

Jesus FUCKING Christ, you dumb fucking SHITS.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Slargos on May 17, 2011, 03:20:13 PM

If you mother FUCKERS deigned to listen just a little bit a part of the time, we wouldn't be in this fucking mess.

You ARMED the muslims.

Best overreaction,,,EVAR.

:lol:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Slargos

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 17, 2011, 03:21:14 PM

You ARMED the muslims.

Best overreaction,,,EVAR.

:lol:

Sweden only sells strategic resources to allies. You will enrich and arm anyone who can fork over a barrel of oil in return [and bitch when they turn the weapons against you], you filthy fucking WHORES.  :mad:

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Slargos on May 17, 2011, 03:35:50 PM
Sweden only sells strategic resources to allies. You will enrich and arm anyone who can fork over a barrel of oil in return [and bitch when they turn the weapons against you], you filthy fucking WHORES.  :mad:

Insert joke about ball bearings here.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Slargos

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on May 17, 2011, 03:44:41 PM

Insert joke about ball bearings here.

I thought I made my position clear.  :P

Valmy

Hey we are American the Beautiful.  When you look this good it is hard not to make some money off it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: Tyr on May 17, 2011, 02:53:11 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 17, 2011, 02:34:25 PM
Quote from: mongers on May 17, 2011, 02:27:55 PM
Which was my point, the choice wasn't between cars and going back to horses, there were other signifcant forms of transport and quite possibly the absolute importance of cars in the future may change.
Who was going to take a train from home to their work every day?  The whole point of adopting the car was to be able to live someplace decent.
Loads of people take a train or a metro or bus to work.

In the future I do see patterns of habitation changing quite drastically to hug the railway routes a lot more.
If you have access to a metro, then you're in a major downtown area, and so you're best positioned to survive without a car.  You are also either extremely well-off or living in abject poverty.  People taking the bus are generally unemployed or unemployable, and so have no business being at large.

The problem with living along railway routes is that it allows the criminals to come to you.  The whole point of the suburbs is to keep the questionable elements out.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Slargos

Quote from: Neil on May 17, 2011, 04:17:06 PM
Which was my point, the choice wasn't between cars and going back to horses, there were other signifcant forms of transport and quite possibly the absolute importance of cars in the future may change.
Who was going to take a train from home to their work every day?  The whole point of adopting the car was to be able to live someplace decent.

In the future I do see patterns of habitation changing quite drastically to hug the railway routes a lot more.
If you have access to a metro, then you're in a major downtown area, and so you're best positioned to survive without a car.  You are also either extremely well-off or living in abject poverty.  People taking the bus are generally unemployed or unemployable, and so have no business being at large.

The problem with living along railway routes is that it allows the criminals to come to you.  The whole point of the suburbs is to keep the questionable elements out.

I would contend that a much better way to keep the peace is to nurture a society where you don't have to worry about being bothered by questionable elements (aside from suffering their proximity) whether you live in on a mountain top or in the middle of working class tenements.

Of course, you lot threw that option out the window when you decided on the melting-pot fallacy.

Neil

Quote from: Slargos on May 17, 2011, 04:43:18 PM

I would contend that a much better way to keep the peace is to nurture a society where you don't have to worry about being bothered by questionable elements (aside from suffering their proximity) whether you live in on a mountain top or in the middle of working class tenements.

Of course, you lot threw that option out the window when you decided on the melting-pot fallacy.
I'm a Canadian.  No melting pot here (although that seems to have worked well in the US when applied to whites).  Instead, we have a 'mosaic', which has the effect of turning areas of major cities into ghettos where decent citizens who aren't of the appropriate ethnic group had better watch their step.

Besides, the working class is the questionable element.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadImmortalMan

I think it's largely human nature to put some space between yourself and your fellow beings if you have the resources to do it. A minority might choose to live jammed on top of other people, but most do it because they have to.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Minsky Moment

You ARMED the muslims.

We beat the Russians in the Cold War, turned the Chinese into capitalists, and now the Arabs are taking out their dictators on their own and Osama is fish food.

USA 3, Whiny Swede Nazis 0
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

Most metros I've known have went to pretty normal working and middle class areas.
And of course busses aren't for the unemployed. I've known loads of people who take the bus to work.
Trains and criminals coming to you- their get away route is a bit crapp though.

North American culture is really pretty alien in some ways...
You don't approve of cycling over there either right? Like muslims?
██████
██████
██████